Chapter 18- First Date

Zachary showed up at her doorstep dressed in a baby blue Lacoste button-down shirt and dark denim jeans. Before he could knock, the door creaked open. It revealed Serronie dressed in an orange and yellow haltered sun dress. His face lit up and hers did the same. They embraced each other snugly. “Feels like I haven’t seen you in forever!” said Zachary leaning her back and taking a good look at her. “Far too long”, replied Serronie stroking his arms. “Let’s roll” he said grabbing her hand and walking to his red truck. He opened the passenger door and helped her inside. Then he walked around the car and sat in the driver’s seat. “So have you decided where you want to go, yet?” he asked her. She glanced to her left and replied, “I’m not picky, we can ride forever for all I care, long as I can look at you”, she smiled. “Well let’s do it”, he declared cranking up the car. The drive commenced and they began conversing. “Hey if we’re going to be rolling today, you can’t be way over there, I’m gonna need you right next to me” he graciously demanded, tapping the empty space on his right.

“Yes sir”, she remarked unstrapping her seatbelt and shifting close next to him. She fastened the center safety belt and leaned against him. He placed his arm around her shoulder and steered with the other. “I can’t describe how happy I am that you didn’t reject me again”, he stated through a facile grin. “I wouldn’t dare do that again! I thought my luck had just about ran out”, she chuckled. “So tell me, I’ve always been curious, but what are you? Like ethnically, you’re so beautiful with that interesting complexion.” She raised her eyebrow and said, “Interesting complexion?” she paused to laugh, then continued, “Well my mommy is full-blooded Persian, and my dad’s Jamaican.” An astonished look spread across his face, then he remarked, “Wow, apparently a fascinating combination.” “Thank you Zack”, she expressed burnishing his torso. They sat closely abreast the whole ride. Close to the early evening, when the sun started to set, he pulled into a clearing in an open wheat field.

“Please don’t kill me”, joked Serronie. He scoffed playfully and replied, “I wouldn’t think of it!” Zachary descended from the truck and grabbed a picnic basket from the floor. “Now this is my first time trying to prepare food for someone else, I hope you like deli chicken and cheddar sandwiches”, he said removing saran wrapped food from the basket. Serronie gasped in amazement and yelped, “Oh my! How did you know? That’s my favorite!” He smiled eagerly, “Me too! Guess we have something in common.” Serronie looked at him in a daze for a few seconds. Her stare made his heart throb against his chest. She had to convince herself that they were on a real date, it felt so surreal.

He opened the rear window to the cab of his truck, and let the tailgate down. Serronie opened the door, walked to the back of the truck, and attempted to climb in the back. She had issues because of the shorter length of her dress. Out of nowhere, Zachary lifted her up by the waist. Serronie was startled, but giggled to hide it so she wouldn’t be embarrassed. “I swear you are so light! What do you weigh, like 80 pounds?” he said with wittiness. “117 pounds jerk!” she replied clouting him in the arm and tittering. “It must all be here”, he expressed while tickling her thighs and legs. She lightly smacked his hands and stuck her tongue out at Zachary.

Zachary pushed a button on his car remote and music started playing from the cab. They ate the food that Zachary prepared. By the time they were done, it was basically dark outside. “I’m stuffed!” exclaimed Serronie leaning back on her elbows. “Well I’m glad you enjoyed it Ronnie”, said Zachary wiping his mouth with a napkin. He cleared all the trash away by placing it back in the basket and placing it to the side. “You’re so far away, come closer to me”, said Serronie imitating Zachary from earlier. Silently, with a crooked smile, he slid near her and placed his head in her lap while hugging her waist and thighs. She tensed up, but it was minor, Zachary didn’t even notice.

“Hmm, you’re so soft and you smell amazing”, complimented Zachary while rubbing his face against her body. She reluctantly stroked his head, trying to be cautious about throwing off the wrong signals. He closed his eyes in serenity and enjoyed her hands in his head. Then Zachary sat up and leaned back and smiled at Serronie. “I want to do this when it isn’t a crowd to watch”, he said slanting over for a kiss. She lightly seized his head and pulled him in while they pressed their lips together. He placed his hand strategically on her shoulder to ensure that he didn’t make the wrong move. The last thing Zachary wanted to do was ruin the moment. They were absent from the world and fully entranced by the other. For the next two hours, their laid under the stars together, talking, kissing, joking and enjoying their time.