Chapter 8- Surprise, Surprise; Save Me

Zachary stood with his group of friends in a far corner of the party. They scoped out the girls and had their select comments to say. He constantly looked at the door when someone new entered, he was anticipating the slim possibility of Serronie arriving. It was apparent that she wasn’t a party girl, and crowds weren’t her favorite. He kept quiet about it, because Zachary already knew that if he told the guys he wanted to see Serronie that they would have a million and one jokes about her. It was getting old, and it made him slightly angry.

“Hey Kate’s here!” exclaimed Jesse nudging Fernando. Zachary leaned against the wall staring blankly at his friends and the rest of the party. Kate walked through the door and started swaying to the music. “Man, I have to keep up with her after this dance stuff is over, she’s a tough shell to crack”, said Jesse stretching his neck to watch her through the crowd. “All girls aren’t dying to screw you Jesse, just thought you should know”, said Richard punching Jesse in the arm. “Gosh, you losers are so jealous!” bellowed Jesse. And then he watched Kate some more. She continued to dance, and turned around as if she was expecting someone to be there. Then she anxiously glanced over the crowd and left back out the door. “Ooh, looks like you girl is gone, Jesse, tough break!” taunted Fernando. Jesse scoffed loudly at him. Moments later Kate came back through the door, struggling with someone on the other side of the threshold. “Hmm, she didn’t come alone”, spoke Richard nosily. When she stopped struggling with the person, they walked through the door together. It was Serronie. Her hair was in a high pony tail, still curly; she wore her glasses, and had on a long sleeve black shirt with a long red Bohemian skirt.

“Whaaaat?! Serronie came out of the dungeon to party?!” shouted Jesse jumping up and down laughing hysterically. Zachary’s eyes shot wide open and he eagerly peered through the crowd to see if it was true. Then he spotted her, clinging on to Kate’s hand for dear life, and obviously uneasy. A grin spread across Zachary’s face. She was the most conservatively dressed girl at the party, and she caught his attention the most.

“Kate, please don’t make me stay here” pleaded Serronie tugging on Kate’s left hand and she was being towed through the crowd. Kate beamed at Serronie, “Please relax Serronie! It’s so many hot guys here, maybe you can get a date, you’re dressed so adorable.” “You usually say that when you thing I look like a square” responded Serronie in a flat voice. Kate ignored her and continued walking and dancing. “I already see guys scoping you out!” shrieked Kate as she called attention to a guy standing by the speakers. He was tall and slim, much like a traditional skater. His hair was dirty blond, tucked under a cap, and the brim cast a shadow over his dark brown eyes. Serronie grimaced and put her head down, running into Kate. “Serronie! What’s the issue?!” she blurted. “That’s Julius, oh my, why is he here!” Kate stood on her tiptoes to get a better look. “You mean Julius from last summer?! Julius that worshipped the ground you walked on until he found out you were saving it for marriage??” Serronie nodded her head, still trying to hide in the crowd.

Once they arrived at a tall table with barstools, both girls took a seat. Serronie took a quick glance over the faces in the crowd and then she acquired a deep sharp breath. She caught sight of Jesse and knew that Zachary wasn’t too far behind. There was always a debate happening within her in regards to Zachary. She was very much attracted to him, but at the same time, she didn’t know his motivations, and felt that it was best to keep her distance. Serronie attempted to steal another glance when she noticed Zachary, and he was vying to see her. Seconds later, the smile was taken from her face.

Zachary stood to the side debating for the longest whether or not he would go over to Serronie. He didn’t really know what he would say, or how to approach her. Above all, he wanted to make his move while she was sitting alone. Suddenly, a smaller body flew into his, hugging him tightly. When he looked, it was Sarah. “Hey Zack! You look great tonight!” She smiled and returned the embrace. Her face lit up, accenting her dimples. He thought she was very attractive, but his attention was divided. “Yeah you too, good to see you”, he replied. His eyes kept flickering intensively over to Serronie’s direction. Sarah attempted to follow his visual radius. With a smile still plastered to her face, she inquired, “What do you keep looking at?” As soon as she asked the question, he saw a guy approach Serronie, and he suddenly heard nothing else that Sarah was saying.