First Day Jitters

When Gavin and I were allowed to take our baby girl home, Lindsay was allowed to leave as well. She went to live with her parents to figure everything out. Gavin sat in the back with the baby while I drove us home. He was so giddy and kept making little noises. I couldn't stop glancing back at them whenever we hit a stoplight. Then we reached the house and I got out to help Gavin carry Lindsay back inside. I carried the car seat with her inside of it while Gavin brought the bag in and unlocked the front door. I put the car seat on the couch and took the baby out of it. She was awake and I could see a smile on her tiny lips. Gavin came over and took her from my grasp, cradling her in his arms. I took out my phone and snapped a picture of the two. He frowned at me as he bounced Lindsay a bit. "She's so cute," Gavin cooed. I smiled and nodded. I checked the clock and noticed it was nearing nine at night. "We should put her down for the night," I said to Gavin. He just nodded and walked into the baby's room. I followed them. Gavin carefully rocked her until her little eyes started to close. Then he carefully laid her in the crib. I flicked on the baby monitor and took the one for our end. Gavin carefully closed the door behind us and we stepped into our own room.

--

Today we were sending Lindsay to her first day of elementary school. She had grown up to be quite the pretty lady. I was driving her, and yes Gavin did eventually get his license, while Gavin sat in the passenger's seat. When I pulled up to the front of the school, both Gavin and I turned back to her. I smiled at her, "Now you be good and you can ask the teachers to call one of us for any reason, okay?" She nodded. "And if someone bullies you for having two dads you just tell them to sti-" "Gavin!" I interrupted. Lindsay giggled, "I know papa. Tell them that I get twice the fun." Gavin ruffled her hair, "That's my girl." She huffed and fixed her hair. "Love you baby girl," I nodded at her. "Love you too daddy," she smiled. "Now get in there and make your dads proud," Gavin chuckled. I stepped out of the car to open the door for her and walk her to the front door. Before I let her go, I bent down to her level. "Let anyone who tries to be mean that your daddy's from Jersey and he knows how to put up a good fight," I joked with her. She nodded and wrapped her arms around my neck. I hugged her back and watched her walk into the school building, waving at me one last time. Then I headed back to the car to drive Gavin and I to work.

Everyone was already working when we arrived at the office. Gavin and I took a seat at our desks and waited to be told what we had to work on. "So how hard was it?" Geoff asked us. "How hard was what?" Gavin asked. "Dropping her off. Did you cry?" Geoff chuckled. "Gavin did," I smirked. "I did not!" Gavin frowned. "Yeah it always sucks to ship them off," Ryan exclaimed. "That sounds like you're sending them off to the bloody army!" Gavin squawked. "Hey you just wait until she goes to high school," Ryan chuckled. Gavin frowned at me like he wanted me to argue for him, but I just shrugged. Jeremy started laughing, "I can't believe it. Michael I honestly cannot believe you adopted after marrying a child." I started laughing too, "I know! Lindsay's smarter than he is!" Gavin playfully punched me in the arm, "Bully!" "Hey hey. Remember daddy's from Jersey and he can kick ass," I joked. Gavin pouted and crossed his arms. "I'm kidding! I'm kidding," I rolled my eyes jokingly. I leaned over and placed a kiss on Gavin's cheek as an apology.

The rest of the work day went as normal. I drove Gavin and I to the school to pick up Lindsay. She was standing at the small playground next to a girl with black hair. Gavin and I got out of the car and walked up to her. "Did you make a friend?" Gavin asked and bent down next to Lindsay. She nodded excitedly, "I did! This is Julia. She told me she has two moms!" I smiled at the two. Two women walked over to us laughing about something. One came over and took Julia's hand. The other smiled at me, "It's good to see the little ones making friends." I nodded, "It helps with the social stuff." She stretched her hand out to me, "I'm Kate Harper and this is my wife Joanna." I shook her hand, "Michael Jones. That's my husband Gavin." "Well it's nice to meet another gay couple around here," Kate nodded at us. "Yeah," I replied. "Well maybe we can schedule a play date for our girls? They seem to get along well," Gavin suggested. "Aw Lindsay! You have a British dad?" Julia chuckled. I watched Lindsay nod and smile proudly. "Well it was great meeting you two, but we've got a ballet practice to go to now," Joanna smiled. "See you guys around," Gavin and I said. "Bye Julia!" Lindsay waved. "Bye bye Linds," Julia waved back.

Lindsay didn't have any homework to do when we got home. She just had a bunch of emergency forms for us to fill out. I let Gavin fill them out while I made us dinner. Lindsay sat on the counter and watched me. She kept pointing to ingredients and asking what they were or making a silly face when I brought out the chicken. "Daddy?" She blurred out. "Mhm?" I looked over at her. "What's wrong with having two dads?" She tilted her head so innocently. Gavin looked up from the paperwork. "Well uh.. It..." I trailed off. "Sometimes people don't like uniqueness. Having two dad is unique and amazing and some people are jealous," Gavin explained for me. "Ohhh," Lindsay kicked her feet. I looked over my shoulder at Gavin who just smiled at me. I turned back to cooking and started to plate the food. "Go help your papa get drinks out okay?" I lifted Lindsay off the counter. She nodded and rushed over to Gavin. I smiled at the view. Gavin and I were normal now. I wasn't getting depressed anymore and Gavin had completely stopped talking to Meg. It was perfect.

[A/N: Hey guys. This will prolly be the last chapter since there isn't much more you can add to this story. I could do an epilogue-ish chapter if you guys would like that? If not, I'll just write the last Author's note and such. While we wait, check out my other Mavin story called Deleted!]