Swing Set Mind

Everyone at work was ecstatic to see Lindsay again. She said nothing about being pregnant to anyone, but Gavin and I. No one really got anything done. We were all too busy having a last minute party for Lindsay. Of course, she had nothing to do with any of the alcohol set out. I was starting to get overwhelmed by all of the people surrounding me. Gavin was off at the other side of the room talking to what looked like Gus and Burnie. I was talking to Miles, Matt, and Jeremy. I took a swig of my beer as my breathing got a little rough. I could feel another panic attack coming along. I guess Jeremy took noticed of this and tried to get the attention off me, "Lindsay's free now. We should go say hi." Miles and Matt nodded and followed Jeremy over to Lindsay. I leaned against the wall and took deep breaths. I glanced over to Gavin and saw him staring at me. He turned to Burnie and Gus and said something before sitting his drink down and walking over to me. I sat mine down as he placed a hand on my arm. "Do you want to step out love?" He asked, face full of concern. I nodded and he wrapped an arm around my shoulder, walking with me outside.

I leaned against the wall and shit my eyes, remembering that breathing exercise Jeremy taught me. Gavin stood next to me and rubbed my arm. I calmed down after a minute or too. Gavin really helped just by standing there. I stood up and fluffed my hair, "Let's go back in now." "We can go home if you want to," Gavin snaked an arm around my waist. "Wouldn't that be kind of rude?" I looked up at him. He shrugged, "We could just say you weren't feeling well." "What about Lindsay?" I put my arm around his waist as well. "You worry too much love," he chuckled. I stayed quiet as we walked back into the building. Gavin kept a tight grip on me and walked over to Lindsay, "Michael's not feeling well so we're going to head home. Do you have a ride?" Lindsay turned to Geoff, who was standing next to her. Geoff nodded, "Yeah sure. I'll just drop her off at your placed later?" Gavin nodded. "Then we're all set! I'll see you too later. Feel better Michael," Lindsay patted me on the shoulder. I flashed them a smile as Gavin walked me out to our car. We got in and started to leave the parking lot. "Let's go to a park," Gavin blurted.

I allowed Gavin to direct me to a park nearby. I didn't understand his sudden urge to go to a park instead of home, but I didn't mind. I parked the car and got out. Gavin rushed over to me and grabbed my hand, running over to a swing set. We both sat down on a swing and started kicking our feet. "It's been ages since I've been on a swing," he smiled, trying to go as high as he could. The last time I remember being on a swing when I was little was when I would hide out after school to stay clear of my father. "Oh come on, Micoo. Swing high with me," he pouted. I started to kick me feet faster, "If I fall off this damn thing, you're buying dinner." "I was buying anyways," he chuckled. "Yeah well now you're buying fucking dessert too," I jokingly glared at him. He slowed down to mimic my speed. I started to remember when my father found me in the park and shoved me off the swing. That's when I twisted my wrist and had to come up with some stupid story for my teacher the next day. I could barely hear Gavin laughing next to me about something and my brain was starting to go numb. This has to be a dream right? I'm in the stupid hospital again and this isn't real. I came to a complete stop on my swing.

Gavin stopped swinging as well, but I paid no mind to him. He wasn't real, it didn't matter. I saw him get off the swing in the corner of my eye. He stood in front of me and put his hands on my shoulders. "I know you aren't real," I huffed. Gavin squeezed my shoulders, "Does that feel real?" I winced, "Yes." He held his arm out and told me to pinch it. I did and saw him flinch. "I'm real love. I'm really here," he placed his hand back on my shoulder. My depersonalization moment was coming to a halt. I held out my arms for Gavin and he sat down in my lap. He was crushing my legs, but that made him real. "We get to be dads in a couple of months. That's really happening," Gavin stroked my cheek. I shut my eyes and leaned into his touch. He planted a kiss on my forehead, "Let's go home darling." I nodded and got up after he did. We both got in the car and headed back to the house. I didn't even notice that it was slightly dark out until now. Gavin started telling a story of something. It sounded hilarious from all the stopping he had to take just to laugh. Eventually I started laughing too, not at the story, but at Gavin because he couldn't finish the story.