When There's A Will...

There was a soft knock at the door to the bedroom and my eyes fluttered open. I went to wake Gavin to ask him to answer it, but he wasn't there. The door creaked open and, sure enough, Gavin walked in with wet hair and fully clothed. "Mum made breakfast if you want to eat. I just got out of the shower because I got a little messy helping her cook," he said, sitting next to me on the bed. I sat up and nodded, "Yeah just let me get dressed." I rolled out of the bed and hissed at the cold air. Gavin chuckled at me and took out his phone. I shut the bedroom door and slipped on a new pair of boxers as well as some jeans. I tugged on a long sleeves shirt as well and turned to Gavin. He was on his phone, looking very angry. "What are you doing?" I questioned him and walked over to the nightstand to put on my glasses. "Stupid, pointless phone game," he rolled his eyes and jammed his thumb into his screen repeatedly. I snatched his phone from his hands and switched it off. He frowned at me and crossed his arms. I just smirked and handed him his phone back, "You could've broken the screen and I am not about getting you a new one."

I put on a pair of socks before Gavin brought me downstairs to the kitchen. His mom had plates set out with some weird, but extremely delicious looking food on top. "Oh my god, Mrs. Free. This smells so good," I smiled and stepped further into the small kitchen. "Go, have a seat! I'll have Gavin bring out some plates," she smiled and rushed me out of the kitchen. I sat down at their dining table and saw Gavin walk over with two plates in his hand. He sat one in front of me and sat down with the other. His mother came in and sat across from us. We ate silently for a minute until Gavin's mother cleared her throat. Gavin and I both looked up at her as she smiled. "So Gavin, your grandfather..." She trailed off. Gavin bit his lip and I tensed up. "He left a will, that he very recently updated, and you were mentioned. I'll give you the paper once we clean up, alright?" She picked up her fork as Gavin nodded. I slowly finished my food, waiting for the other two to finish.

Gavin's mother told us to wait in the living room while she went off to find the will. Gavin was tapping his fingers on his thigh, a thing he only did when he was nervous. I put my hand over his and intertwined our fingers. He looked at me and smiled slightly. His mother came in and stood in front of us. She handed Gavin a couple sheets on paper, neatly creased and folded over with one hand and tugged at her sweater with the other. Gavin gulped as he unfolded the papers. His mother took a seat in one of the other chairs. Gavin started reading one of the papers and I saw tears start to well up in his eyes. I looked over at his mother and back at Gavin. He looked at the second paper and started to read it as well which made him full on start crying. I placed my hand on his thigh and rubbed it slightly to comfort him. He looked up at me and then his mom. "He really said that about me, mum? About us?" Gavin said, motioning to me. His mother nodded and her lips formed a small smile, "He really did." Gavin smiled as well and raised a hand up to wipe the tears from his eyes. He handed me the papers to read. I chose to read the will first, since it was on top. His grandfather had given Gavin over one-hundred thousand dollars from his bank account, as well as some personal items. Next, I read the note:

"Gavin, my dear grandson,
Though I am not necessarily content with your decision to be a homosexual and marry a man, I will say that I will support you from the grave forth. Michael is a lovely man from the stories you have told. He seems like a perfect match for you.

I recall you mentioning something about an child in the future. I don't believe I'll live long enough to meet them, but I leave you some extra quid, some not mentioned in my will. This quid I am gifting the two of you is for you child and his or her college fund. I know how much you favored college, but wished away student loans. The money from the will itself has been sent to your bank account by now.

I never meant to fight with you, Gavin. I always knew you were different in a way, always hanging up posters of bare naked ladies in your room or messing with that silly camera of yours. I love you, my grandson. I wish you all the best in the world. Make sure you tell that great grandchild of mine some nice memories of me. Tell that Michael of yours that I wished I would have met him in person as well. And take care of your mother, will you.

Sincerely signed,
Your granddad"

I looked up at Gavin and smiled at him. I handed him back the papers and he placed a hand in mine. "He never meant to not come to your wedding. He was just unsettled by it." Gavin nodded, "I never really got to apologize for yelling at him." His mother stood up and pulled an envelope off the coffee table and handed it to Gavin, "That's the extra quid, dear. I had it converted to American money for you already." Gavin opened the envelope and I peaked inside. There was actual money in there, making the envelope larger than normal. I breathed in and leaned back into the couch then let my breath go. Gavin closed the envelope and let it fall to his lap. "You two should get going before you father gets home. He hasn't been the best," she said. Gavin nodded slowly, "Yeah." I fidgeted with my thumbs. Gavin's mom left the room and he headed up to the bedroom and I followed along. "Our flight leaves in a couple of hours. We could wait around or go walk around," Gavin said while shoving clothes in our suitcases. "Uh yeah. Gav... what's up? Why can't we see your dad?" I eyed him and stuffed my hands in my pocket. "It's nothing, love," he pecked my cheek and flashed me a smile. Some how, I didn't believe him.