Our Little Birds Leave the Nest

I got up like I do any other day; wake up and start making breakfast for everyone.

I yelled for the kids when it was done, and they all came to get something before school.

"Hey, Pop, you still coming to graduation tonight?" Marley asked.

"You know I am. Something wrong?" I asked as I made my plate and sat with our crew at the table.

"Who are you bringing with you?" He asked.

"Your dad, grandparents, uncles, and aunt Nat..... why?"

"Are they bringing Devon?" He asked.

All three other kids perked up as they waited for my response.

"Well, yeah, they don't have anyone else to watch him. Is there a reason you're asking?" I asked, growing more and more curious.

"Because we don't want him crying during the whole ceremony." Marley said.

"You know he rarely cries; what's this really about?" I asked.

"We don't want them feeding him there; it's embarrassing." Dustin spoke up.

"It shouldn't be. He's gotta eat too." I told them.

"Yeah, but the fake boobs are just.... weird. You can see uncle Bruce's hairy chest when he feeds him, and it's just kinda creepy." Marley said.

"But he won't feed from a bottle. The only way he'll eat is if they feed him like that." I explained.

"We understand that, but can you tell him to at least shave his chest?" Marley asked.

"I'll talk to him, okay?" I sighed and shook my head.

"Thank you." He huffed.

The kids left for their last day of school while I started cleaning up from breakfast.

Wade texted me, telling me he was on his way home.

"Honey, I'm home!" I heard his voice boom through the house.

"Why did you text me when you were right outside the front door?" I asked, peaking around the corner.

"I sent that a while ago." He said as he came and snaked his arms around me before pulling my back into his chest.

"I haven't checked my phone for a while. I was about to text you though. I wanted to make sure you wouldn't be late to the kid's graduation." I said as I continued doing dishes.

"I would never miss that, but there is something I do miss."

"What's that?" I asked as I finished the last dish.

"You." Wade turned me around and placed a gentle finger under my chin before kissing me softly.

"I missed you too, baby." I said as I dipped my head into his neck.

We just stood there in silence. As shocking as it may seem, we both knew we loved the loving embrace and the silence that went along with it. Neither one of us ever shut up, but it was nice to hear nothing and know the house isn't getting fucked up because of it.

"This is nice." Wade finally spoke up.

"Yeah, no kids to interrupt and nothing is getting broken due to the silence." I chuckled.

"When is their ceremony?" He asked.

"It's tonight at 6, but their party's right after school." I said.

"They're at school right now?" Wade asked, sounding confused.

"Yeah, they didn't have to go, but they wanted to see their teachers one last time before they graduated." I smiled.