They Know Your Mine, Right?

Everyone had gone to bed shaking with fear. You plopped down on one of the black leather couches, waiting for the last of the Slytherins to head upstairs. You tapped your foot impatiently. Tonight was the the first day for Prefect Patrol and if you saw that boyfriend of yours, let's just say things weren't looking good for him in the least. Not after that.
Terence collapsed next to you. His limbs sprawling every which way. You swatted his hand away from your face, shoving him over. "Well, it's just you and me, (Y/N/N). That was the last of them." You smirked.
"Great. Now we can go. Get up," you replied, jumping to your feet. Terence stretched his legs out on the couch, yawning.
"I'm sure the other four'll get the job done. Can't we just go to bed and let them do all the work for us?" You scowled.
"No. We're Prefects and that means we have responsibilities, weather we like them or not. Now get your ass of that couch!" He groaned but pulled himself up. He slung his arm lazily over your shoulder, for support.
"Since when do you care so much about being a Prefect?" You elbowed him in the ribs gently, causing him to smirk.
"Since the Chamber of Secrets has been opened. I don't know what the hell that is but all the teachers were worried. It's bad. And I don't want anything to happen to Matt or Draco." That was partially true. You sunk under his weight, trying to balance his heavy arm on top of your shoulders. Terence smiled, showing all of his perfectly white teeth.
"Aww! Would you look at that! The infamous (Y/N) Middlebrook, the vicious Slytherin Quidditch Captain, really does have a heart! She really does care!" You shoved him slightly, almost toppling over due to the fact of that his arm was still wrapped around your shoulders. You pushed open the portrait door, stumbling out into the dungeons.
"What are you implying, Higgs? That people think I'm a heartless jerk and I don't care about anything? That's ridiculous!" Terence snickered, hugging you.
"I don't think that (Y/N/N)!" He replied as you began walking down the halls of the dungeons. "That's just what the majority of people think. For the record, I know that you really aren't heartless and uncaring but that's the impression you give people. Why?"
"I know but I can't tell you why. And right now, no offense, I don't really feel like having a deep heart-to-heart right now. Especially not with you."
"Ouch! Wow that hurt a lot (Y/N/N)! And I thought we were friends! I thought we had something. I thought we were tight," he pouted. You laughed, lightly, making your way up the stairs, Terence's arm finally slipping off your shoulder. He laced your fingers together, swinging both your hands back and forth, in a friendly manner. You didn't mind.
"We are. It's just the fact that you've never said a serious thing in your life that makes me shy away from having deep conversations with you. And since when do you call me (Y/N/N)?" Terence threw his head back laughing, your hands still intertwined.
"I can be serious if I want to. I just never want to. And I've been calling you (Y/N/N) for a while now. I'm surprised you haven't noticed by now. As for why, all your close friends were calling you (Y/N/N) and we're pretty close so I thought I'd give it a try."
You nodded. The halls on the main floor appeared to be mostly empty, but you knew that wasn't ever the case. Ravenclaw and Gryffindor Prefects had the upper floors and the Slytherin and Hufflepuff Prefects had the lower levels. Just your luck.
"So what exactly are we looking for, (Y/N/N)? Dragons? Monsters? Terrifying first years? What?" Terence asked stupidly. You rolled your eyes, sighing.
"We're looking for students out of bed. Not monsters. Not dragons. But I suppose you were close with terrifying first years. Now. I'll take the West and North portion of this floor and then the second floor. You take the East and South and then the dungeons." Terence clutched your hand a bit harder. His lip quivered in mock fear.
"B-But w-what if I get scared? W-what if I suffer from the s-same f-fate as Mrs. Norris? Y-you wouldn't want a-anything to h-happen to me, w-would you?" You, once again, rolled your pretty (E/C) eyes. He was never serious. Never. It wasn't possible.
"Nothing's going to happen to you! You'll be fine! Stop being a baby! We have work to do! Now go!" You pointed at the stairs that led to the dungeons, tapping your foot impatiently. He laughed once more, before disappearing down the stairs. You exhaled, relieved that he was gone. You loved Terence. He was a great friend and you enjoyed his company but he could be exasperating sometimes, or all of the time.
You stood rooted in your place for a few minutes. Completely lost in thought. You didn't want to be out on Prefect Patrol. You didn't even want to be back in the common room asleep. All you wanted was your boyfriend. It didn't matter if you were a 1st year or a 7th year, tonight's events had shaken everyone up. People didn't think you needed comfort. People thought you were strong enough to handle yourself. But you weren't. Not all of the time. And right now, you just wanted to be comforted. To be held in Cedric's arms and have him tell you everything was going to be all right. That's all you wanted.
The faint sound of voices echoed down the corridors, followed by 2 sets of footsteps. They were headed in your direction. You quickly ducked behind a column, listening. To your surprise the people stopped just a few feet for your hiding spot. What you heard caused your heart to become lodged in your throat.
"Can you believe what happened tonight, Ced? I was so scared! Thanks for comforting me. We should get together more often." You cursed under your breath. You always caught your boyfriend in situations you didn't want to see. But you knew if you weren't there he would never mention them. You peered around the column, only to see Cedric's arm still being cradled by the blonde girl from earlier. It took every piece of you not to go and hex her. The worst part of it all was that he was smiling. And Ced was your name for him!
"It's okay, Hannah. We're going to be okay. I'm here for you. Nothing can harm you. I'll be here to protect you." You're breath hitched. Hadn't he said those exact words to you? What kind of game was he playing? Your temper began to boil. Was he cheating on you? No! Never! This was your Ced!
"Aw! Thank you! You're such a sweetheart! But did you see all those girls? They were all staring at you! I even saw that Slytherin Prefect, (Y/N) Middlebrook, look at you once. You know the girl everyone in the common room jokes about. The Queen of Slytherin. It's honestly a wonder that she's popular. I don't even know her and I hate her." You gnashed your teeth. Every fiber in your body wanted to knock her unconscious. But you stayed rooted in place, waiting to hear what Cedric had to say.
"I completely agree! She's absolutely vile! I'd imagine more people hate her than we know. I wouldn't be surprised if her own family secretly hated her..." Your heart shattered. You couldn't believe he was saying this. You had to pretend you didn't know each other but you never directly insulted him. You couldn't believe he was saying any of this. Hannah snickered and your eyes turned a vicious red. You held your breath as Cedric continued. "...But no, I didn't notice anyone staring?"
"They were staring at us. Normally I would have thought it rude, but I was actually quite proud. It did bother me ever so slightly, to be completely honest. They do know your mine, right?" Your heart stopped beating. What the hell did she just say?
"I'm sure they do. Who doesn't know I'm yours? We're perfect. Forever and always. Don't worry, baby." You turned just in time to see him kiss her cheek. A tear slipped down your face. You glanced down at the ring on your finger. The ring you never took off. You yanked it off and let it fall to the floor with a loud plink. And then you ran.