A Tale of Two Stans (part 2)

Start from the beginning

Both Mr. and Mrs. Pines stared at the principal in shock as well. Mrs. Pines couldn't believe that one of her sons could go so far. Stanford smiled broadly as his father said the two words he hasn't said in a long time: "I'm impressed."

"But what about our little free spirit, Stanley?" Mrs. Pines asked, concerned about her other son. Stanford's smile dropped as he thought the same thing. Stanley hadn't even crossed his mind after he found out about the college.

"That clown? At this rate he'll be lucky to graduate high school. Look, there's a saltwater taffy store on the dock. And somebody's gotta get paid to scrape the barnacles off of it. Stanford's goin' places. But hey, look on the bright side: at least you'll have one son here in New Jersey forever," the principal said, trying to sound like it was a good thing for the sake of Mrs. Pines.

Little did the office know that Stanley was outside the door, listening in the whole time. As he heard the principal talk, he had slid down the door, knowing that everything that they had said was true. He wasn't going anywhere in life, Stanford was. He wanted so bad to be proud of his twin brother, but the weight of his selfishness brought him down even more, as he never wanted to lose his brother, the only friend he's ever had.

~~~~~~~~~

Later that evening, the twins were on the old swing set on the beach, looking at the sunset. There was a slight tension in the air between the two brothers. Stanley finally broke the uncomfortable silence. "Heh. Joke's on them if they think you wanna go to some stuffy college on the other side of the country. Once we get the Stan O' War complete, it's gonna be beaches, babes, and international treasure hunting for us," he said, looking around proudly at their project.

Stanford couldn't really look at his brother. Ever since he had found out about the college, there was no doubt in his brilliant mind that he wanted to go. He could finally prove himself and get a new start. The only thing his brilliant mind couldn't figure out was how he was going to tell Stanley that. He didn't want to crush his brother's heart. But he also wanted to move on in life. They were high school seniors, they had to grow up at some point. Stanford figured that it was his time.

Stanford internally sighed. He was going to attempt to tell his brother. "Look, Stan, I can't pass up a chance like this," he said honestly, looking at the college pamphlet. "This school has cutting edge programs and multidimensional paradigm theory."

Stanley started moving his arms around like a robot. "Beep boop. I am a nerd robot," he mocked in a robot voice. "That's you. That's what you sound like."

Stanford laughed a little. "Hehe. Ah, well, if the college board isn't impressed with my experiment tomorrow, then okay, I'll do the treasure-hunting thing," he told Stanley, making a deal with him. He hoped that this would help a little bit.

"And if they are?" Stanley asked.

Stanford playfully punched his brother's shoulder, causing Stanley to smile a little. "Well then, I guess you better come visit me on the other side of the country. Haha," he said, light heartedly.

Stanley smiled as his brother got up and walked away, but it fell when he was out of sight. Stanley stared at the sunset before deciding to take a walk, ending up at the school.

"Without Ford I was just half of a dynamic duo. I couldn't make it without him."

Stanley angrily stomped through the multipurpose room, between all the science projects while eating more toffee peanuts. He kept walking until he noticed who's project he was standing in front of. As he saw the machine, his anger and jealousy skyrocketed. He angrily threw his toffee peanuts bag on the ground and then pointed at the machine. "This is all your fault, ya dumb machine!" He slammed his fist on the table, accidentally wobbling the machine, making it start to slow down and knocking a piece off. Stanley realized what he had done and started freaking out, not meaning to do it. "Oh no. Oh no no, what did I do?" He noticed the piece that he knocked off and put it back into place, although it wasn't screwed in and the machine was still slowing down. Stanley breathed out a sigh of relief when he noticed the machine stopped smoking and was still moving. "There. Alright. Good as new. Probably." He picked up a tarp and hung it in front of the machine, hiding it, before walking out of the school.