Chapter 44

Javiera Garza walked down the beach slowly- the wind was picking up and so her hair fluttered around her face brusquely. she looked down at the dog that walked in front of her.

A beautiful little mutt that Andre fed everyday. He hadn't taken him in because he was never at his house in Telchac but from what she'd gathered from his housekeeper, the dog was always around. It had taken an immediate liking to her and seemed intent on following her everywhere she went- much like Andre.

The first night she arrived she was overcome by different emotions. She still couldn't remember a thing but the familiarity of the world around her was enough. Andre had insisted that she rest properly before they begin to delve into who she was and she accepted.

She accepted because she was afraid she would need all her energy to face the past. Based on her dreams alone she knew it was going to be tough.

Now she turned back to the giant house which sat just a little farther back from one of the prettiest beaches she'd ever seen.

"Javi!" Andre called as he jogged in her direction, the dog immediately taking off to greet him.

Javi watched Andre as he approached her, frowning. She had the distinct feeling that he was keeping many more secrets from her that he would ever admit to and that worried her. She shouldn't have come out here so impulsively and so she promised herself that she would be alert and on the look out in case of trouble.

She'd told him the first day that she would need a new cellphone, something that his man Juan had told her she could buy in the small town near Andre's house.

She'd found out that this was true but it would need to be ordered and would take several days to arrive. If she had known that would be the case she would have insisted on stopping at a store in Merida where they could buy one immediately.

Now, as he approached her, all she really wanted was to see Jack and it suddenly occurred to her that her past, however vital that she learn about it, was no longer as relevant as her future.

"Hey." She said, tucking the strands of hair behind her ears as she turned to face him.

"I looked for you all around the house. It didn't occur to me you'd be out here." He said, walking beside her.

"That's funny- I thought it was the most natural thing to do." She said. It was definitely much too warm in this part of the world, the humidity more than she expected but somehow she found that she actually acclimated to it quite easily.

"How did you sleep?" He asked, tucking his hands into his pockets and whistling for the dog to follow along.

"Fine, like a log actually once I got comfortable." She said, recalling how surprised she'd been to find a hammock instead of a bed.

"I'm sorry- I didn't have time to get some more furniture and Usually I'm here alone so the only bed is in my room." He said. Javi shrugged.

"It's really no problem. I have a feeling I've slept in a hammock many times before." She said.

"I'm sure you have- it's a custom around these parts." He replied.

"How is it you came to be here?" Javi asked. "I mean, this place is beautiful but what made you buy a home here?"

"I was very young when I bought this house- we had one in Tulum but it was destroyed in a hurricane a very long time ago. My mother was Mexican." He said, making Javi turn towards him.

"I thought you were French." She said.

"I am- like my father and my sister." He said. Javi nodded and walked on for a bit.