Chapter 38

"Max." Javi said with a smile, extending her hand as Max reached for it and gently kissed the fingertips. She tried to act natural, tried to seem quite at ease.

"Jimena- How are you enjoying yourself?" Max asked, not relinquishing the hold on her hand.

"This is nice- Everyone is so nice." She said simply, looking around with a smile.

"It's hard not to be nice to such a pretty lady." The man with Max said, making Javi turn towards him.

"I'm so sorry, Jimena- this is an old friend, Marco Cain. Marco- This is a new friend, Jimena Castaneda." Max said. Jimena smiled- recognizing this as an alias and not the man's true identity.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." He said, taking the hand that Max gave him and bringing it to his lips.

"The pleasure is mine." She muttered, feeling inexplicably nervous. There was something strange about this entire scenario- it felt like watching TV, to unreal. At the same time, while the two men continued to talk- Javi could distinctly feel his gaze, burning into her skin.

"How long are you in Monaco for?" Javi asked, when the moment was prudent.

Marco turned to her, a grin on his lips.

"Just a few more days, how about you?" He asked.

"I'm leaving on Sunday." Jiavi replied truthfully.

"That's a shame." Marco said in a low voice.

"Isn't it? I tried to get them to stay longer but they can't be swayed." Max replied, looking around the room.

"they?" Marco asked

"He means my husband and I." Javi said with a smile.

"Husband? Now that's a shame." He said with a grin. Javi chuckled, trying to be flirtatious.

"Will you excuse me for a second?" Max said suddenly, moving away and leaving Javi alone with Marco.

"Why is that a shame?" Javi asked when Max was out of earshot.

"Which part? The husband or your leaving?" Marco said, slipping his hand onto her back and guiding her slowly about the room. Javi allowed him to do so, not turning to look at him but instead gazing at the rest of the people as they did so.

"I have a feeling they may both have the same answer." Javi said. Marco turned her to look at him, his eyes seeming to search hers but she looked away nervously.

"You're right." he said chuckling. "But then I suppose I do not need to really tell you why."

Javi giggled and nodded.

"I saw you the moment I walked into the room." She said, trying to sound interested in him. He raised his brow.

"I noticed." He said with a grin.

"That's a bit conceited." She teased.

"I know." he began, rather aloofly. "But That's who I am. Then again, I might have not noticed if I hadn't seen you too."

"And what did you think?" She asked.

"I'll just have to get to know her a bit better." He said, making her blush.

Jack watched from across the room as Javi and the man identifying himself today as Marco spoke. He was smiling at her, finding every excuse to touch her and Javi allowed him to.

Jack felt the strange pang in his stomach, something strangely like possessiveness but that was kept in check by the overwhelming feeling like he might throw up. Max had signaled to him that he'd manged to plant the seed successfully, now he could only wait.