Chapter 2

"Matteo- I thought you were taking the afternoon off." Viviana said, noting how Matteo had been on the phone from the moment they got home.

Matteo smiled.

"I am." He said simply.

Viviana leaned against the doorframe of his study, staring at him suspiciously.

"Well, you've spent almost all afternoon in here... on the phone." She said.

"There was a few things left... pending." He said.

"Okay. Well, Davide is asleep and I am going upstairs for a nap." She said with a grin. "join me?"

Matteo stared at Viviana- he wanted nothing more than to join her but...

"Excuse me, Mrs. Peroni. There's a delivery at the door." One of the housekeepers said, coming up behind Viviana.

"A delivery? What sort?" Viviana asked. She couldn't remember anything being ordered and it was rare for the staff not to sign off on something like that.

"Flowers- actually, they're for Mr. Peroni." The housekeeper said, obviously surprised to see him home at this hour.

Viviana tilted her head sideways.

"Okay, we'll be right there." She said, turning back to Matteo. "Why do I get the feeling this isn't just a romantic gesture I'm about to walk into?"

Matteo chuckled.

"let's go find out." He said playfully, walking past Viviana and out into the hall.

When they neared the kitchen, Viviana was aghast to see so many arrangements.

"Matteo- what is all this?" She asked in surprise.

"Just some flower to liven up the house." He said casually. Viviana stared at him a moment, suspicious.

"The young lady from the flower shop is in the front foyer- awaiting payment." The housekeeper said as the housemaids began to take the vases into different rooms.

"The young lady- let's go then. We can't keep her waiting." Viviana said, moving swiftly down the hall. She could hear Matteo coming up closely behind her.

Javiera stood in the large foyer, her apron folded in half around her hips and a notebook in her hand. When she found the house she had been immediately impressed, thinking she had been right about this man-he was rich. She knew houses like this existed... just not in real life. Now she stood, her hair pulled back in a messy ponytail and her hands dirty from handling plants all days. She had never felt more out of place in her life.

"Hello!" Viviana called, making Javiera turn away from the large door.

"Hi." Javiera said with a tense smile. It was that woman! The one she'd spotted inside the car, albeit dressed a bit more normal, but still sensational anywhere.

"I'm Mrs. Peroni." Viviana said with a smile, extending her hand but Javiera shook her head, holding her hands up.

"Sorry, I'm filthy. Javi- Javi Garza." She said looking down at the receipt. "Order for Mr. Peroni."

"Yes, he's coming. Thank you for delivering on such short notice." Viviana said, taking the receipt and reading that the order had been placed that morning.

"No problem." Javi said nervously. She couldn't believe this was that man's wife. Well, she could actually. The woman was beautiful, graceful and poised... but still. She couldn't be any older than Javi and that man... Matteo Peroni. He must at least be 30. Although he was also very handsome... and intimidating.