Chapter 3

Jack stood staring out onto the Aegean Sea- the blues and greens dancing around brilliantly as the sun set.

He'd been here for nearly 10 years but it still never ceased to amaze him and so everyday, at this hour, he stood on the roof of his home, staring out onto the sea. That was unless he was on assignment, which fortunately, there were few and far between.

It was sometimes hard to believe that he'd been in Greece for so long but he never regretted his decision, nor did he regret taking this job even if it had been a dangerous one. When he wasn't working, he spent most of his days out on his boat, enjoying the Mediterranean sun which accounted for the tan which spread against his skin, making his grey eyes stand out even more.

It had been a peaceful life for him in Oia- but still he frowned. He frowned because he'd become aware of trouble brewing off the coast of Italy and he knew this mean his peace would be disturbed. Another assignment- he was sure of it. Still, he'd done his duty. He'd sent word to his boss, Matteo Peroni, of the trouble in Sicily and he was sure that soon, he'd been given new instructions.

"Mr. Garrett." A woman called out to him. Jack turned and smiled at his housekeeper, an older woman nearly 50 who came by twice a week to help with the chores.

"Are you ready?" He asked.

"Yes, sir." She said, her English quite good.

"Let's go then." he said, walking back down. Every Thursday and Sunday he drove his housekeeper back to the main town where she lived. She was usually dropped off in the mornings and he would leave her in town later.

Jack did not live far from the town which was often photographed and sold to tourists on postcards. His home was about a 30 minute drive, but it was definitely more secluded and most people were not even aware that it was there.

"It's a shame, if you ask me, that a young man like yourself and so handsome should live all alone up there." the housekeeper said, as usual, on their drive to town. Jack smiled. he'd heard this conversation often enough before and knew that the woman had a grand daughter she'd been trying to foist on him.

"I'm not that young, Gaia." He said, "I'm closer to being an old man than a young one."

"That's foolish. You're making excuses." She said.

"I don't need any. My line of work won't accommodate a wife or girlfriend." He said. She shrugged.

"If you say so." She said. "but that's a big house to live in alone." Jack laughed.

"Don't be cross with me. It can't be helped." He said. He was fond of the woman and so he allowed her to speak to him more freely than he would let anyone else.

When he'd dropped Gaia off at her home, he drove further into the center of the town, thinking he could use a distraction.

"Jack!" The woman at the door said, her eyes opening in delight as she arrived. Jack smiled- Heather was a beautiful woman. She had dark hair and matching eyes, typical of the region but more importantly, she had a pair of soft arms.

"Heather." He said simply as she took his hand and led him inside.

With Heather, it was always easy to forget about his problems. She was sweet and a generous lover, quiet and obliging. She never made a nuisance of herself and she certainly didn't demand more from Jack than he was willing to give. Like any Greek woman, she had the habit of fussing over him too- cooking for him, preparing gifts for him- it was a perfect arrangement.

Jack was serious when he said he had no intention of ever taking a wife, but if he did she would certainly be a woman like this one- quiet, graceful and kind.