Chapter 24

"Jacques, I did not think you would be back this soon." The woman said, taking his hand and attempting to drag him away but Jack pulled back.

"It's great to see you, Dee- but I'm here on business." He said, looking towards Javi.

Javi felt her spirits go down a bit but she shook it off, she was a business partner after all... sorta.

"Who is this?" Dee said, looking at Javi now from head to toe with a critical brow.

"This is Jimena." He said, using her fake name. "She's with me."

Dee looked at Jack and then back at Javi, a smile suddenly coming over her face.

"Well- it's nice to meet you." Dee said.

"Likewise." Javi muttered.

"And I suppose you're both famished?" Dee asked.

"Yes, it smells wonderful." Jack replied.

"Then come, I'll get you two some wine." She said, signalling for them to follow her to a table in the back.

As they sat, Javi could not shake the uncomfortable feeling that Dee was scrutinizing her, even if she was hiding it behind her toothy smile.

"So, business?" Dee asked and Jack nodded.

"Jimena and I are here to take care of some urgent matters." Jack said. Dee nodded, noting how relaxed the two seemed near each other. As they were in the very back and the table was behind a corner, it seemed that Jack did not feel the need to hold Javi's hand, after all- no one was around to see them.

"I see. Well, my lips, as always, are sealed." Dee said with a grin. "Will you tell that handsome devil you work for that I would love to have him visit sometime?"

"I'm sure you'll find he's too busy with his wife and son to get away." Jack said, making Dee frown.

"All the handsome ones are getting married- it's a shame. Tell me, darling, that you won't be making the same mistake?" Dee asked, putting a hand up to Jack's face, which he took, giving it a kiss before putting it down on the table.

"You know I don't believe in marriage." Jack said. Javi was intrigued- she knew who Matteo was. Could it be possible she had also worked for him?

"How long have you two known each other?" Javi asked impulsively, beginning to feel uncomfortably like a third wheel.

"Almost 20 years." Jack said and Dee playfully hit his shoulder.

"That's enough of that, I'm not old enough to have known you that long." Dee said. Javi frowned.

"How old are you?" She said, turning to Jack who nearly spit out his wine at the question. Dee laughed.

"Jacques? He will not say but my guess is close to 35 or 36." Dee said. Javi stared in surprise.

"Wow." She muttered, taking a sip of her own.

"How old are you?" Dee asked after a bit.

"24." Javi muttered, not realizing Jack was so much older.

"I'm neither 35 nor 36, she's teasing you. We met when I was only 12." Jack said. Javi stared- could it be possible that he'd had an affair with this woman at such a tender age? Because it was more than obvious their relationship was sexual. Javi shifted in her seat uncomfortably.

"Yes, I remember- he was so adorable, used to come in here and help with the restaurant. Had a big crush on me, but I didn't cave in." She said teasing.