Chapter 29

Javi sat up with a start. She took a deep breath and looked around, recognizing the hotel room immediately.

She had a headache- that was certain and her mouth felt quite dry... what in the world had happened? She sat still, dropping from her hands the comforter she'd been holding quite tightly and bringing her hands to her head.

"You're awake."

She turned and saw Jack coming from the direction of the restroom.

"Yes." Was all she managed to say. Jack moved to the counter and produced a couple of pills... aspirin? and a tall glass of water which she took.

"Do you remember what happened?" He asked. Javi was quiet for a moment, squinting before taking another long sip of water.

"Here." He said, moving to her with a small pitcher and refilling the glass.

"Thank you." She said, drinking it almost empty. "I can't understand why I'm so thirsty."

"It's because you were drugged." He said simply, leaning against the wall and almost making her choke.

"Oh god." She said, her head hurting as she tried to remember. "Was it Phillip?"

He nodded, moving to the bed and sitting next to her.

"What do you remember?" He asked. Javi was still again and then put the glass aside, bringing her arms across her chest and taking a deep breath.

"I can't remember anything." She said, trying but all she had was a vague image of of herself asking Phillip if he was here on business. "We were on a terrace?"

She turned and looked up at Jack who nodded, looking concerned.

"Anything else?" He asked.

"Nicolo." She said, closing her eyes for a moment. "We spoke about him."

She looked down at her hands, "but I really don't remember."

"I need you to try to remember what happened." Jack insisted. Javi ran her fingers through her hair, realizing it was knotted, still up in the same way it was the night before when they left the hotel.

"I'm sorry. I can't... maybe later." She said. Jack stared at her for a minute before sighing loudly and standing. He looked annoyed. Of course he was annoyed- she couldn't remember the information she'd risked herself to get.

"Javi- go take a shower and get yourself cleaned up. You look like death." Jack said suddenly in a cold voice. Javi turned to look up at him, his lips were pressed together tightly. He was angry... not annoyed.

"Okay." She said, not wanted to start a fight at that moment. Instead she stood, noticing that she was wearing a long shirt and nothing else. Jack must have changed her last night- she took a few steps, feeling a little dizzy and the headache, not winding down.

"I feel like I'm dying." she muttered, moving to the restroom. "it's like I'm going to be sick."

"Your body is recovering from a very strong drug. Trust me, you'll feel better after a shower." He said, not bothering to look at her. He looked livid, he looked almost disgusted.

"What's that?" He asked, moving towards her quickly and grabbing her arm, turning her brusquely. Javi was surprised, looking up at him eyes wide.

"What?" She asked, trying to yank her arm away but she really was quite fatigued.

"On your leg." He said, pointing to a few bruises on her legs and hips. Javi frowned.

"Bruises..." She muttered. He let her go.