Chapter 17

Javi stood by the window looking out onto the people walking on the sidewalk. She'd insisted over and over that she should wait outside but Viviana Peroni would not let her.

She was very clear in that she wanted Javiera with her over the next few minutes. Javi couldn't believe they were here, with an oncologist- What would Matteo think of all this?

It didn't take a genius to realize that Matteo Peroni was crazy about his wife. Crazy- not just in the sense that he was madly in love with her but in the sense that he would act like a crazy fool for her and that he would never forgive anyone for hurting her. If people really knew what was good for them, they would know that Viviana was to be treated with extreme care and caution.

"Javi- Won't you come sit with me? The doctor will be along shortly." Viviana said, causing Javi to snap out of her strange trance.

Javi stared at her for a second as Viviana looked at herself in a tiny pocket mirror and seemed to adjust her make up. It didn't really seem like Viviana wore much- she had such a sensational face that one might think she didn't need it. She already had features that popped out of her face and made her stand out. After a few seconds longer, Javi walked over and took a seat next to Viviana, obviously discomforted.

"Mrs. Peroni- Wouldn't you think that it would be best if Mr. Peroni was here?" Javi asked, trying not to wiggle around too much. Viviana sighed, closing the mirror and placing it back in her purse.

"I told you to call me Viviana." Viviana said, with a frown.

"Okay, Well Viviana- don't you think..." Javi insisted.

"Of course, but Matteo is very busy right now and this needs to get done." Viviana said.

"Why don't you tell him what's going on? I'm sure he'd make time for..." Javi began and Viviana nodded.

"He would. He would dump everything and everyone and coming running, you can be sure of that. But- I don't really know much and I don't want to disturb him until we know what's going on." Viviana said.

"And what is going on?" Javi asked. Viviana smiled- brilliantly and large, making her look even more impressive.

"That's what we're here for- to know exactly what's going on." Viviana said. Javi sighed.

"I don't think I should be here. I don't believe Mr. Peroni would like it." Javi said. Viviana shrugged.

"Maybe not- maybe he wouldn't. I don't think I should be alone at this moment. Which of the two offenses do you believe is worse?" Viviana said.

"Damn it." Javi muttered, knowing she was right.

"Exactly." Viviana said, looking on to Javi sympathetically. "I know it's awful of me to put you on the spot but we'll keep this between you and I... and between you and I, I wasn't looking forward to doing this alone."

Javi looked at Viviana shamefully- she shouldn't be so self-centered. The woman sitting in front of her had everything that any woman, even Javi, could desire... she had so much to loose. Javi reached and grabbed Viviana's had, giving it a gentle squeeze- at least a reassuring smile. She deserved... needed at least that.

Viviana smiled warmly at Javi's gesture and then turned towards the door where her doctor, who had been recommended by her OBGYN smiled weakly.

"Mrs. Peroni- It's good to see you. How are you doing?" He said, moving towards his desk with a small manila folder on hand and a slightly larger one clipped to it. As he spoke, he separated the two, making use of the smaller only.

"The same as before- fine except for some cramping and spotting." She said casually, as if it were not something out of the ordinary. Javi wondered how long she'd been seeing this man for.