Chapter 26

Javi sucked in her breath when she finally spotted him, walking towards her casually, his hands in his pockets.

He stared at her, intently but she couldn't out his expression- she only stood still, forcing on a smile to conceal her concern and repeating to herself all the things they'd gone over.

"We were beginning to think you might not show." Jack said, reaching for her and pulling her close for a kiss on the cheek.

"I tried to tell you I didn't know where the bar was." She said playfully, turning to the man in front of her who she had already deduced to be Max Sharp. Jack had told her about him upstairs.

"This is my old friend, Maxwell Sharp- Max, My wife, Jimena." Jack said, introducing the two.

"It's good to meet you, Mr. Sharp. Miguel has told me so much about you." Javi said, extending her hand to shake his and finding that he brought it to his lips.

"Max- call me Max and I'm afraid your husband didn't do you justice- you're a hundred times more beautiful than he let on." Max said, glancing at Jack with a twinkle in his eyes.

"Thank you." Javi said, unable to deal with the compliment. She turned to Jack with a smile, hoping she was not blushing as that might give her away.

"Shall we?" Jack asked, looking at them both.

"Of course, my car is out front." Max said, leading the way. Javi tried to walk normally but she knew she was shaking- this was it. This was where her mission really began, everything that had happened over the last few months... her entire life had changed. As they walked outside, her hand on Jack's arm, a couple of bell boys ran, fussing over her- holding the door open, opening the car door and helping her in.

It was amazing what a dress and a pair of heels did.

Inside the car, Javi was surprised to find that she and Jack were seated facing Max- she had never seen a car with seats that faced each other before. Maybe in a film, but never in person. It occurred to her that Max must have very wealthy friends, as Jack had explained that he didn't work- he was here to keep people happy.

As they rode towards the restaurant, Javi looked out the window, trying to keep calm and going over he mission. Flirt with the fat man... ha! That was so easy to say when he wasn't the one that had to do it. In fact, she thought with a grin, he might be better at it than her. Javi had never flirted before and even now, as they sat next to each other, her hands still on his arm, she felt very self conscious.

Jack kept the conversation lively, laughing and joking with Max and keeping an eye on Javi through his peripheral vision.

He hadn't expected her to look like she did, he hadn't expected the dress to look so good. She looked infinitely feminine- nothing like the gamine little Javi he knew was hiding under there. It was such a natural look for her and she shone. He was certain she'd turn more than one head tonight but still, he wasn't sure if he preferred her this way- a demure female with a friendly smile or the loud and fierce woman who fought him on everything.

He watched her shift, as Max laughed at something he said, as if she was having trouble getting comfortable, and then she crossed her legs towards him, still looking out the window as if she was not really aware of where she was.

He looked down at the long shapely legs, strong and smooth in the moonlight and caught sigh of a black strap high up her thigh.

Without a word, he shifted, moving his arm and bringing his hand over to the thigh, caressing it naturally.

Javi froze and fought to suppress the urge to move his hand, instead she turned and smiled at him, wondering if he would clue her into why he was doing what he did... Max was talking about one thing or another, distracted as he did so and Jack seemed to be listening intently.