Chapter 42

"I can't see why you have to go so soon." Jack said, watching as Javi neatly packed a bag. Javi smiled and sighed.

"It's been a long time- I don't remember anything since before I was in primary school. I need this... I need to know." Javi said, looking frustrated and a bit flushed.

"Okay, okay." Jack said, standing and walking towards her. He placed his arms around her and she allowed him to hold her for a few minutes before pulling away.

"You're scared?" He asked.

"Very. I'm terrified." She replied truthfully. "I don't know what I'll find."

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" He asked as she went back to packing.

"Yes. It's fine. I just... I feel like this is something I need to do alone." She replied. Jack understood- it was strange that he did but deep down inside, he knew she was right.

"Okay- But I still wish you would wait until you can get that cast off." Jack said. Javi smiled and looked down at the cast on her arm, which last night Jack had wrapped up in blue orthopedic tape. He'd been writing on it for days and in a moment of panic, she asked him to cover it up- not because she didn't want anyone to see it but because she didn't want it to get dirty.

Jack had slept by her side every night for the last week- ever since he'd seen her out on the terrace it had been impossible to keep away.

They didn't say much about it- there was no need for words, it was a very natural and automatic arrangement and even though he'd been very gentle in his lovemaking over the last week, Javi wasn't afraid to being hurt- she had an absolute, blind faith in Jack. She was convinced he would never do anything to hurt or betray her.

But now here they were- unofficial lovers and she was packing her bags. How could she put into words what she really wanted?

"Jack." She said as she zipped up the one bag.

"Yes?" He asked, taking the bag and placing it by the door.

"What if I only take one bag?" She asked, looking at the rest of her things.

"I don't believe it would all fit in one bag." Jack said quietly.

"Well, no but what if I left the rest here... and come back for it later?" She asked, looking down at her hands.

Jack raised his eyebrow and looked her over.

"You want to come back?" He asked, staring at her back and taking a step forward.

Javi took in a deep breath. She could either come up with some excuse or be direct- and she'd never been one to walk around in circles so she decided it would be the latter.

"Yes." She said, turning around to face him with her chin up and finding herself surprised at his sudden proximity.

"Jack." She began again after gulping, "Can I please come back? When I'm doing, Can I come back?"

Jack stared at her for a second, feeling thrilled and nervous at the same time.

"Why do you want to come back?" He asked. Jack was not as candid as Javi- speaking, expressing his feelings... he was much more guarded about all these things.

"Can't you figure it out?" She asked, feeling suddenly shy for the first time in her life.

"Figure what out? Why do you want to come back?" He insisted. Javi lost her patience with herself and with him.

"Damn it, for you, Dummy!" she burst out before she could stop herself.

Javi turned bright red and looked away- that was certainly not the way she wanted to say that. She nervously placed her hand on her arm and looked down at the corner of the bed.