Chapter 40

Jack stormed into the room without a word, the piercing sound of his guns breaking glass enough to send everyone down on the floor. He continued to shoot, until eventually one of the chandeliers came smashing down to the ground near where Javi was sitting.

The four men and Marco moved back, too surprised by the smoke and noise to react at first.

Javi smiled. She knew, she knew deep down that this was him. He was here for her.

When the initial buzz had passed, Victor and the other three men quickly moved towards Jack, shooting at random, but he cleverly hid behind tables and dodged their bullets.

As Javi watched, in a daze- it occurred to her he was like superman and the fanciful thought made her laugh.

She heard Marco yelling as he crouched down by the door and then she snapped. Jack- he needed her.

At first she tried to wiggle her hands free but the pain was too much to handle- if she'd suspected a broken arm before, now she was certain. Her left arm was definitely smashed close to the wrist.

She sighed, trying not to loose consciousness and instead focused on her feet. If only she could get her feet loose. This pain was still intense but definitely more workable than her arm and slowly she maneuvered- trying not to catch anyone's attention.

Jack moved quickly, he could hear the alarm system in the casino going off and security had already begun to move in. Damn it- he shouldn't have gone in so loud.

"Shit- Pronto- let's go." He heard Marco calling as the lights began to flash. It didn't matter how much influence he had- a shoot out in a casino? No one would turn a blind eye to this.

Jack stayed low while he watched Marco and his men moving out of the room and down the hall. Soon all that was left was the sound of the alarms and the people in the other rooms of the casino panicking as they exited.

Jack looked around until his eyes focused on the small figure, jumping about as she tried to get out of the chair that held her in place.

Matteo was not going to be happy about this- the plan was to go in calmly and get her out, not cause a scandal. Still- he rushed over to where Javi still wiggled around.

"Javi." He muttered and her face shot up, making him stop dead in his tracks.

Javi didn't miss the way that Jack stopped and stared. For a second, she wondered what he was thinking but then she remembered- she must look terrible.

"Hey." She said breathlessly, trying to break the awkwardness in the moment and snapping Jack back into reality. Jack shook his head and tucked his gun back into his pants quickly before approaching her.

"Hey." He repeated after her, beginning to pull loose the ties at her arms.

"Ahhh." Javi let out an involuntary cry of pain- it was more like a shriek. Jack stared at her again before moving around her and looking at her arms, noticing immediately that one of them was in bad shape.

The lights then went dim and they both looked up, confused... seconds later the sprinklers in the room went on and water began to pour down on them. In the distance, the sounds of the police storming the building came into focus.

Jack walked around to face Javi again and this time, placed his fingers very gently under her chin. Javi stared at him, her vision blurred as the water began to wash blood down her face.

"Listen- I have to untie you and it's going to hurt, It's going to hurt you really bad. Okay?" He muttered. "But I"ll be quick." His fingers stroked her cheek and lips gently, trying to reassure her.