Chapter 5

Ordinarily on a Sunday, Javi started the day with a long, lazy run before stopping at a local coffee shop and then hurrying to a free tai chi class in the park but today, she and her coffee were off to work.

It was rare that there would be work on the weekend but there was an order for a brunch and Javi had to make the delivery. Javi honestly didn't mind, she was paid extra for weekends but it still wasn't what she needed for the rent.

Javi had spent most of Saturday thinking about the eviction notice, and of course the encounter with Matteo Peroni. Being a person of a naturally secretive nature she wasn't interested in learning more about him. She meant it when she said she kept her nose out of other people's business but after Friday... She couldn't avoid snooping a bit.

The frustrating part was that she found nothing. Not one thing- other than that he was insanely rich and known to be generous. That was all. This made her more suspicious of him- no one was that perfect, especially someone who made an offer like that.

No- even if it would solve all her economical problems, that job reeked of trouble and she was not willing to be a part of it.

When she made it back to the shop after the delivery, it was not quite noon and so she began to tidy, thinking it was a shame she didn't get her bike back. A long ride would have helped her heavy heart. There was nothing to do, she was going to be evicted.

"184..." Javi was muttering to herself as she was closing the books for the day but the sound of the bell on the door made her look up.

"I'm sorry, we're closed." She said, looking at the man who was inspecting flowers.

"Oh? I'm so sorry. I was looking for something for my girl- we had a huge fight." He said, turning towards her. Javi didn't flinch, she had heard sob stories like this before but she really wasn't interested.

"I'm sorry to hear but my box is shut for the day and I'm afraid I can't open it anymore." She said simply. The man nodded as if accepting this as true.

Still he didn't leave. Instead he just stood there watching her.

"I'm sorry- is there something I can do for you?" She asked looking up again.

"Yeah, we were wondering something." He said. Javi raised a brow.

"We?" She asked, taking a step away from the counter.

"Yeah, we."

Javi didn't move. She had clearly heard the voice that came from behind her. There was someone in the backroom!

"Listen," she said calmly, " there really is no way to open the box once it's shut, it's programmed that way so I can't give you any money."

"That's fine. We aren't looking for money." The man said.

Javi put her hands on the counter, flat where they could be seen and then nodded.

"Okay. So what do you want?" She said, determined not to show fear.

"We want you to tell us about Matteo Peroni."

"I don't know who that is." Javi said without hesitation.

"He's the guy you were seen with the other day." The man behind her said.

"I talk to several men everyday, you'll have to be more specific." She said.

"The one you were speaking with rather angrily Monday night, on the corner of 6th and Barcley." He answered. Javi's face was blank.

"That man who hit my bike?" She said, playing dumb. "Sorry, I don't know much about him."