Chapter 8

As instructed, Jack had kept a close eye on the girl during the week. He'd left her the envelope early on Monday morning and then let things unfurl on their own.

He was annoyed of course- called in to babysit a girl when he should be back home, preparing to go to Monte Carlo in a few weeks. He hadn't missed the way she stared at him- he could see resentment in her eyes from miles away. She didn't appreciate the way Matteo did things but in the end, she just couldn't resist the offer.

He didn't know what to think of it- he could understand wanting adventure, excitement and of course, financial security but he had been working all his life and new there was much more than the initial glamour to it.

He was less than impressed with Matteo's selection too. A loud mouthed girl with too much attitude and a unique ability to loose her temper- and what an explosive temper! She would have to curb that immediately. If she lost her temper like that on a job it could get her, or him, killed.

Now he sat at a table, just across the street from the tiny shop he'd seen her walk into. He was drinking coffee and holding up a newspaper, his coat done up all the way as it was still a bit cool in the mornings. He was vigilant- this was the next test. He needed to be sure she knew how to follow directions to the very letter.

----

Javi arranged flowers in the back, having gotten a very early start that morning. She had been surprised to arrive and find that the shop had been properly closed, locked and cleaned but then Matteo Peroni would be the type to think of everything.

"You're here early." Sandra said in surprise as she walked in the front door and turned the sign to say OPEN.

"I know- I wanted to get a head start." Javi said, trying to sound normal. She wondered if Sandra could tell.

"You look different." She said as she tied on her apron, making Javi laugh.

"What do you mean?" Javi asked, not looking at her. Sandra leaned against the counter, quietly scrutinizing her.

"I've got it." She said with a smile. "You're not wearing your uniform."

Javi let out a sigh of relief mixed with laughter.

"Oh yeah!" Javi said, shaking her head. "I'm sorry. The weekend was complicated and I didn't get a chance to wash my whites."

"I see." Sandra said, looking Javi over. It was the first time she had seen her out of the uniform. "I can't say this was the best choice, though."

"I know. I'm sorry." Javi said. She was wearing an old, stretched out black tee over grey legging and her sneakers. It was what she usually wore under the large grey sweatshirt that now hung in the back.

Sandra stared at Javi for a few moments, noting that something was just not right.

"Javi- look at me." Sandra said. Javi turned towards her for a second and then back to her flowers.

"Javi, stop and look at me." Sandra said. Javi sighed, turning off the faucet and turning to face Sandra.

"Something's wrong." Sandra said. Javi took a deep breath.

"I'm afraid there is. Sandra... I don't know how to say this..." Javi began, trying to find the words in her throat but Sandra suddenly nodded.

"Let me guess, you found a better job?" Sandra asked, a faint smile on her lips. Javi stared at her, surprised.

"How did you know?" Javi asked. Sandra laughed.

"You're acting crazy, besides, I figured that eventually you would. So..." Sandra said, sighing in defeat, "Any chance I can convince you to stay?"