Chapter 18

"I'm not sure this is going to work." Jack said, taking the drink Matteo had poured him. It was late and Matteo had not left his office.

"It has to. I know you have trouble working in a team but Javiera is an ace and you know it. Get her through this mission in one piece and I'll make it worth your while." Matteo said with a grin.

Jack didn't say anything and only raised a brow.

"Today we had more than a half a dozen strangers in this same office- can you imagine? We were flooded with Casares' men. And he sat here... smugly. His son at his side." Matteo said.

"His son can't be more than 4 or 5." Jack asked as Matteo reached into his desk for some papers.

"That's his youngest son- he wouldn't be here. I mean his older boy- nearly 15 now." Matteo said.

"Still a bit young for this life." Jack said and Matteo shrugged.

"I was hanging around here at that age and Davide will probably be too." Matteo thought with a frown.

"How are they?" Jack asked politely.

"Good- Although I really would like to get home to Viviana soon. I have a feeling something isn't quite right." He muttered.

"I'm sure everything is fine but I'll do you a favor and get out of your hair for now." Jack said with a grin.

"Good, I'm tired of looking at you." Matteo chuckled, handing him the papers. Jack looked them over.

"There's more than expected." Jack said.

"Like I said, you get her through this unscathed, then I'll make it worth your while. I know she's a foul mouthed little pain but if anyone can deal with her, it's you." Matteo said.

"I prefer women..." Jack began and Matteo laughed.

"Quiet? Subdued? Feminine and shy? Trust me... even the most lady like are loud when they're pissed." Matteo said thinking of a few times Viviana had angrily reacted to him.

"That is why I am never getting married. Now- I'll let you go." Jack said, rising.

"Good luck and remember, patience." Matteo said, shaking his hand. This was the last time he'd see Jack for a while.

"Thanks. Take care." Jack said, slipping out of the office.

Matteo sighed and moved to turn off the lamps, ready to go home. He didn't know why, but he had a feeling in the pit of his stomach that something was wrong. He hated that. He and Viviana had been through so much already and he could understand him getting a few hurdles... he was a cruel and unrelenting bastard of the business but Viviana... that girl was a pure soul. It scared him how innocent and true his wife was and it was also the reason he adored her.

He walked out, locking his office tightly and moved across the hall- it was quiet. Most people were gone. Still- at the end there was four men, men who never left the office until Matteo was in his car and heading home. The guard at the desk was still sitting, ever vigilant and as he stepped out onto the street, he saw that as he requested, there was tonight a man on every corner and a man in an SUV ready to follow him to his home.

There was no helping it- until Julio Armando Casares was out of the US this was the rule.

When he arrived at his house, he noticed again, another half a dozen guards across the lawn and it was only as he walked through the door that he felt like he was finally alone with his thoughts.

"Vivi- Cara mia." He called, taking off his blazer and loosening his tie as he moved around. It was strange of her not to come running or be waiting by the door when he arrived. She was always extremely effusive, sometimes jumping right on him before he could fully shut it.