Chapter 10

"They can't be serious." Javi said moving forward and pushing the gate, but it wouldn't budge.

She searched the gate, thinking maybe the 3rd key would go somewhere but instead she found it was another slot for the strange second key.

When the key clicked, she realized this was not a gate you push or pull but lift and so she was finally able to get into her apartment. Then she heard the beeping.

Javi dropped her bags, looking around frantically- it was an alarm. The keypad was right outside of the gate on the wall, warning her she had 30 seconds to disarm.

"What the fuck?" She growled. She hadn't been given a code. "Why is everything so fucking hard?"

She stared at the keypad, watching the sends count down.

"Come on, come on, come on" she muttered, typing in her year of birth. The timer stopped- the alarm said off.

With a sigh, Javi crouched on the floor- her stress level: 5000.

After a few second, Javi finally turned back to the apartment, staring in awe at the place in front of her. Could this really all be for her?

Taking off her backpack, Javi moved further in.

The apartment was big and fully furnished. Exquisitely furnished. Wooden floorboards covered wall to wall, and heavy drapes hung over the two large windows on opposite ends. The kitchen started immediately to her left- it was very industrial in design but the countertops were marble and the red brick over the stove real.

There was a table- grey wood with white chairs around it, sitting by the window that faced the docks. Javi walked around the table, her fingertips grazing it gently. She looked up then, there was two small steps that led into a bedroom, no door but it was divided from the rest of the space by long panels of wood and opaque glass. As she stepped up, Javi felt she might be dead.

This was heaven.

There was a door to her left, which upon inspection led into a large restroom with a stand alone tub and in the far end, a large walk in closet. Drawers, shelves, and a safe.

Jack had been right, everything was labeled and certain areas even outlined where objects should go. Even on the sink counter.

She moved out of the restroom, staring at the queen size bed- she could loose herself and was even tempted to jump on but she was afraid she might not be able to get back up.

At the other end, there was another opening in the panels, two steps dropped and she was back in the main area where a sofa and two arm chairs sat around a large, rustic table. One wall was lined completely with a book shelf, the other had a desk.

This was hers.

"Mine? Holy fuck! This is all mine!"
----
Javi was downstairs five minutes early and only to find that Jack was already staring at her like she was late.

"Let's go." He said, pushing the door outside the elevator open and moving into a large area which looked like it had been a parking lot once.

"Good morning to you too." She muttered, following him.

"I'm sorry- that was rude. I hope you slept well." He said sarcastically dropping a gym bag over to the side.

Javi sighed. It was obvious he did not want to be here but there was really no other choice. As a matter of fact, Javi had not slept and it didn't take her long to figure out she wasn't expected to. She had considered leaving her things packed and getting some rest but it was as she unpacked her toothbrush that she suddenly found herself unpacking everything.