Chapter 28

Javi sipped the champagne, taking very little into her mouth and mostly just letting it sit on her lips. Although it might seem like a night to celebrate and go out and have fun, she knew she was working and this was important to her.

"You were quite impressive at the roulette table." Javi said, putting the glass down beside her and turning out to face the sea.

"I like to play but It is Nicolo who has the luck of the devil." Phillip said.

Javi tried not to laugh- it was all too perfect, he'd brought up the man all by himself.

"Nicolo?" Javi asked, playing dumb. "Which one was he?"

"Nicolo wasn't here tonight but if you are going to be in town you might meet him." Phillip said.

"I suppose, if I am invited here more often. Is Nicolo a friend of yours?" Javi asked.

"He is." Phillip said shortly.

"Oh- from your home country? Wherever that may be?" She asked with a grin and Phillip laughed.

"No, he is Italian." Phillip said, "but he comes here often, like myself to unwind."

"That's nice. So you two only come here for leisure? It must be nice to be able to get away to a place like this whenever you like." Javi said.

"I do- I want to think of Monaco as nothing but pleasure..." he said, his voice growing thick as he took another step towards Javi. "But I'm not sure about Nicolo- That man always seems to be working."

"Oh? Does he have business here?" Javi asked. Phillip shrugged.

"Don't know... Jimena, has anyone ever told you that your lips look perfect in red?" Phillip said, abruptly changing the subject. She sighed, realizing she would not get much more information from him. She should focus on getting another invitation to the casino... they needed to run into Nicolo.

"You're flattering me. I've never worn this color before." She said with a laugh, taking a step back.

"Then is it safe to believe you might have worn it for me?" Phillip said.

"That would be strange as I've never met you before tonight. But if I knew we might meet again, I might wear it again." She said, hoping he would take the bait and invite her. Instead, he took another step closer.

"Let a man dream." He said, his hand reaching out for her.

----

"Where are you going?" Max asked amused as he saw Jack standing from the table.

"Obviously to collect my wife and call it a night." Jack said, his jaw clenched as she looked about the room.

"She won't be in here." Max said, catching up to him. "He likes the terrace."

Jack turned to Max who was now joining another table before saying causally, "Behind the Rose Room."

Jack smiled and nodded, accepting this tiny bit of help and moving towards the door. He was extremely confident in Javi's skills- so much that she was sure she would be able to get herself out of a tough situation if needed but he understood Max correctly, then she would not be thinking so clearly.

He felt his fists tighten as she moved, it was outrageous that a man like Phillip who always had beautiful women throwing themselves at him would really be spoiled that he would force a woman who said no.

As he walked down the long corridor, He saw a group of men standing outside the Rose room and frowned, knowing that the casino did not usually like for their clients to loiter.