Chapter 11

Javi looked at herself in the mirror, hardly recognizing the person she saw. It was Tuesday, just over two weeks in and just the afternoon before Jack had surprised her by giving her a new set of instructions for the next day.

The week before, Jack had suddenly disappeared and a new man had been in his place since. She hadn't minded too much, except that this man was not as hard on her as Jack was and so she always felt like she was always a step ahead of him. He also was not fully aware of what he was training her for so asking questions was pretty much... out of the question. But last night she'd found the new instructions in the elevator and she new immediately, they were from Jack.

Of course it was just like Jack not to give her any additional instructions or tell her what to expect, it was a short note with a warning that she should be outside by 8AM.

She stared, thinking she looked so very different from herself and yet feeling like maybe she had just found a completely different side.

A black pant suit, black button up shirt under the black blazer, buttoned except for the top two. Blazer buttons closed, no tie. Black flats, elastic crisscross strap. Hair out of face-black sunglasses on.

"Black on black." She muttered, slipping on the sunglasses and locking up behind her.

----

Jack waited downstairs by the SUV- a cigarette in his hand. He'd been up early, having grown accustomed to the early days.

He had hoped to wait a bit longer before taking her in but there was no helping it. She'd been at it for two weeks and she needed to get security clearance before the next step.

Jack was impatient, as usual, but the girl was quite frustrating. She was always complaining about one thing or another, and he wished he could reprimand her, but the reality was that she was good. Then he had been called away unexpectedly- business of course and he had to send in a man to replace him. He'd considered warning her but the change was so abrupt there had been no time.

He seen her the day before, as he slipped the note into the elevator- far in the distance, kicking the new guy's ass. She'd gotten faster or maybe the other guy was just slower, but whatever the case she had also picked up some new tricks. If she kept improving at this rate, he would have no reason to continue objecting to her. This bothered him, but it bothered him even more that it bothered him.

He couldn't put his finger on it, but she bothered him. Then he spotted her, walking towards him... black on black and his lips tightened into his habitual scowl. Wouldn't you know? black on black suited her.

Javi saw Jack leaning against the front of the SUV, smoking a cigarette. For a moment, she didn't move, she only stared from beyond the building windows. He looked so impressive, the suit fit him like a glove and yet it did nothing to hide the muscles she knew were underneath. He was bigger than she remembered, more intimidating maybe and for a second, she wished she was more formidable.

Eventually, she walked out towards him, her hands tucked into the pockets of her pant suit as she approached.

"Hey." She said, facing him straight on. She had hoped that with the sunglasses on she would feel protected, but as he was wearing his and she could not see his eyes, she only felt more vulnerable and vulnerability was not something she was used to feeling.