Chapter 21

"There's no way." Matteo said, pacing around the room. Viviana watched, him as she dried her tears.

"Matteo, listen..." Viviana began but Matteo wasn't listening.

"We'll get a second opinion." Matteo said.

"The doctor showed me the scans, my bloodwork. Everything- we're certain." Viviana said. Matteo turned to look at her, the anger in his face visible.

"No. This is ridiculous, You do NOT have cancer." He said. "It's not possible."

"Why? Because you won't allow it? You can't control everything." Viviana said suddenly.

"Damn it, Viviana, you don't have cancer." Matteo repeated.

"You can keep saying it but it doesn't change the truth." She said, moving towards him and putting a hand on either side of his face. "Look at me." Matteo looked away. "no, look at me."

He turned his face towards her, his muscles twitching as he tried to remain calm.

"Matteo- I have Uterine Cancer. Okay- We've found it at an early stage and this is one of the most treatable forms. I'm going to be okay. SO, stop." Viviana said. "Stop because I'm scared and I need you to be brave."

Matteo's face softened as she looked down at his pouting wife, she looked like she might cry again and he couldn't stand it.

"Viviana, I just don't understand. You're perfect. God, you're perfect." He said, bringing his arms around her and kissing her. Viviana wrapped her arms around his neck and allowed him to lift her off the ground and lay her down on the bed.

"I'm not perfect." She said when he finally lifted his head, tears in her eyes.

"Yes, you are. " He said.

"No, I'm not." She insisted but he shook his head firmly before putting his forehead to hers.

"Yes. You're perfect- you're everything. You're my dream. You and Davide- you're the world. You made Davide- the most perfect little boy in the world. You're perfect. I don't care what happens or what anyone says. You're perfect." Matteo said.

"I had some help making Davide." Viviana said with a soft chuckle.

"I enjoyed every second of it." He said with a grin. Viviana's eyes filled with tears again.

"No, baby, stop. It's okay. It's going to be okay- You'll see. You and I are going to be together on this every step of the way, until you're all better." He said, kissing her softly.

"Matteo..." Viviana began.

"We'll talk to the doctors, the best doctors and make sure you get the best treatment." He said, kissing her again.

"Matteo, listen. I'm... The doctor. Ugh, I'm sorry Matteo." she said, unable to get the words out.

"Don't apologize Vivi." He said with a smile.

"Matteo- I'm not going to have anymore perfect babies." She said. Matteo was still and for a second he didn't say anything. "A hysterectomy, That's the treatment." She continued after he didn't say anything.

Matteo looked down at Viviana's face, she was beautiful even when she cried and he remembered their first kiss suddenly, in his parent's home. She'd walked in determined to grab her bag and go and he'd stolen a kiss. Then he remembered seeing her cry the first time she'd been in the circuit during gunshots. He hated seeing her cry.

"You know, Vivi- Davide is a perfect baby, our perfect baby. I don't need anything else in this world except you and that boy." He said with a smile. He was being honest.