Chapter 7

"All I'm asking is for your loyalty and in exchange, la famiglia gives you theirs." Matteo said when Javiera did not immediately answer.

Javiera was still. This couldn't be happening, could it?

"So, let's say I do this. What comes next?" Javiera asked.

"You become an official employee of EPI Security- at least in the eyes of the law." Matteo said. Javiera nodded.

"Couldn't I just have a real job with them?" She asked.

"Not unless your an electronic or mechanical engineer." Matteo said with a grin. Javiera laughed.

"I don't like office jobs anyways." She said meekly.

"You'll be required to train for some time before I set you up on your first job. Jack will teach you everything that you need to know." Matteo said. Javi turned to look at Jack who had not stopped scowling at her since he entered the room.

"He doens't look too happy about that." Javi said.

"I'm not." Jack said coolly.

"What matters is what I think and feel, keep that in mind." Matteo said. Javi stared at him. He looked so different to her now. A don. A fucking Don.

"And while I train?" Javi asked.

"While you train, we will take care of all your expenses and needs." He said. Javi nodded.

"So, my rent?" She asked.

"That's already been taken care of." Matteo said. Javi's jaw dropped.

"You've already assumed I'm going to say yes." She said in disbelief.

"I usually get what I want." Matteo replied.

"My bike?" She asked, making Matteo chuckle.

"We have a bike for you ready, although it's not the one you're used to." He said. Javi lifted her brow.

"I like that bike." She said hotly.

"You can still keep it." He said casually.

"So I'm an employee of EPI and now what?" She asked.

"We will contact you with clear instructions on what to do. Your training will start in one week and you come with the understanding that if you ever betray la famiglia..." He began but Javi shook her head.

"I never bite the hand that feeds me." She said.

"And you're in forever." He said. Javi looked at the table, studying Matteo's hands.

"Your answer?" He said, his tone commanding after a few seconds. Javi looked at him, those penetrating eyes startling her.

"I accept." She said quietly, surprising herself when she spoke the words. Matteo smiled and his face softened.

"Great. Jack- you'll prepare everything, Javi- take this corridor all the way, you'll come to a parking lot and a man will take you home." Matteo said, turning towards the door.

Javi stared at him wide eyed.

"That's it, you're leaving?" She asked but Matteo was already gone. Javi stared for a few moments, still not a hundred percent sure that what had just happened was not a dream.

"It's getting late. You should go, you will have a lot to do this week." Jack said, snapping her out of her trance. Javi turned to look at him, walking by a little slowly but picking up the pace when she realized just how large he seemed next to her.