Chapter 35

Jack watched Javi as they walked along the streets and in the direction of the hotel. She hadn't said anything- not a single word. Not when she walked back into the backroom, of course, at the worst time.

Still, he watched her reaction before trying to explain what she had seen and he was surprised to see that she had not reacted at all but instead just sat down and ate her meal. She smiled when spoken to and even waived to Dee in a friendly manner when they finally did leave.

He thought maybe now she would say something- he was sure she'd really let him have it but instead she only walked on quietly, her hands behind her back. After a few minutes, he'd reached out to grab her hand and she did not yank it away or spew the typical recriminations of her sex, instead she let him hold it as they maneuvered through the crowd, only releasing it when they reached the hotel elevator.

Maybe she was holding it in for when they were truly alone- and so he practiced what he would say. He would explain to her that Dee's kiss wasn't romantic at all- it was a friendly goodbye as Dee realized she would not be seeing much of Jack moving forward, at least not like she was used to. He would try to make her see that Dee could be a lot of things but, in her own way, the kiss had also been a friendly good luck.

Still, as they went through the room door, Javi didn't say anything, she merely walked over to the bed with a sigh and began to remove the sandals from her feet, massaging them for a second as if they ached. Perhaps they had walked longer than the other days today but still, Javi was quite used to running and walking- she had a very rigorous routine. So when she stood and moved towards the restroom, he had no doubt that she was looking for any excuse not to look at him.

"Are you going to shower?" He asked, leaning against the door frame as she began to pull her things together.

"Mhmm." She replied simply. He frowned- that was not a very Javi answer. No, Javi would reply something like, "yes, I'm covered in sweat" or "I feel like I have everyone's germs on me."

Javi knew he was watching her- probably thinking she was mad too. She wished she could just turn around and say she was fine but how? It's not like she had any reason to be mad, right? Jack was a free man and she knew it. Besides, she hadn't missed that the kiss had been a passionless one, especially for Jack. It looked more like a friendly custom or greeting than an actual kiss... or the type of kisses he gave her.

Javi blushed and moved to the sink where she let the cold water run for a second, before splashing it on her face. No, she wasn't upset that Dee had kissed Jack. She was upset at herself because she had let herself get so caught up in what happened the other day that she'd almost forgotten who they were.

She was Javiera- she worked for la Famiglia and she was one of Matteo's men. She was hired not to exist unless necessary, to take on important and dangerous missions and be ready to act at the drop of a hat. Getting involved with anyone was an encumbrance and would cloud her judgement. Getting involved with someone who you might never see again after the mission wasn't smart.

Jack watched as Javi toweled off her face softly before with a sigh, she turned to face him, looking him over head to toe.

"Why do you have to be so god damned gorgeous?" She muttered in exasperated tones, shaking her head and turning back to the mirror.

For a second Jack just stared, completely surprised before he started laughing.

"It's not funny." She said, annoyed, as she moved past him and towards her things to grab an extra change of clothes.

"Sorry- Sorry. I don't think anyone's ever asked me that before." He said with a smile as a now visibly annoyed Javi threw things around unnecessarily.