Chapter 1

"You're late." Sandra said as Javiera practically ran in through the front door.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry!" Javiera said, walking over to the backroom and rolling up her sleeves. 

"It's okay. It's been dead." Sandra said, noticing how tired and frustrated Javiera looked as she washed her hands. She watched her for a second, noting how she was muttering angrily beneath her breath, a habit she had when something was really bothering her. 

"Are you okay?" She said, walking over to the fridge in the back and pulling over two waters. Javiera sighed. 

"I'm am so not okay, it's not even funny." Javiera said, picking up a towel and drying off. "I swear I have the worst luck." 

"What happened?" Sandra said, walking over to her. Javiera slipped on a green apron, tying it behind her back before reaching out for the water bottle. 

"Notice anything different about me this morning?" Javiera asked. Sandra looked her over, studying her carefully but after a few minutes she shrugged. 

"I give up." She said, taking a sip of water. Javiera sighed and moved into the prepping room, looking at the list of orders for the day. 

"I'm not wearing my bike helmet." Javiera said. "Two Funerals? I hate doing funerals." 

"Oh yeah. Did you ride the bus? That would explain why you're late." Sandra said, picking up an empty bucket and prepping it. 

"Yeah. I rode the bus. I hate the bus." Javiera said. 

"So why did you ride?" Sandra asked. Javiera turned to look at Sandra, trying to control her temper. Javiera had always struggled with her temper but she had over the years developed different techniques to help her control it. 

"Last night some Jerks in a giant black SUV hit me." Javiera said stiffly, crossing her arms over her chest. Sandra's eyes widened. 

"What? Are you serious?" She asked. Javiera nodded. 

"Dead serious." She replied. 

"Well, are you okay?"  Sandra asked. 

"Sore but okay." Javiera said, turning back to a bucket she was filling with water. 

"Holy shit. That's intense. And your bike?" Sandra asked. Javiera moaned.

"Totaled." Javiera said, turning off the faucet. 

"Wow. That sucks." Sandra said. "Well what about the jerks? Did they at least offer to pay for it?"

"Oh yeah. Don't remind me about that asshole!" Javiera said. 

"What? What happened?" Sandra asked. 

"This guy- gets out of the back seat of the SUV, dressed sharp as a tack in some ridiculously expensive Italian suit. You can tell he has money, has a driver and some other guy riding in the front seat, plus a ridiculously glamorous looking woman in the back, and he starts asking me if I'm okay." Javiera said, drying off her hands and moving the bucket. 

"And?" Sandra asked, still not understanding why he was an asshole. 

"He asks me a bunch of questions, apologizes and offers to write me a check." Javiera said. 

"A check? Who is this guy?" Sandra asked. 

"Yeah, I know." Javiera continued, moving into the front room of the shop and pulling carnations out of a freezer. 

"So, did he write you a check?" Sandra asked. Javiera put the carnations down on the counter and turned to look at Sandra. 

"Yeah, see for yourself." Javiera said, moving towards her backpack on the floor and pulling out the folded check. Sandra watched an exasperated Javiera and wondered what could be so bad to work her up this way.