The Wolves in the Woods Chapter 22- Pretty Little Thing

Yay an upload!!!! The last of 2011!!!! I know it's short and kinda a filler chapter but I thought it was cute idea so I hope you enjoy.  

Also a big thank you to all my fans! I finally today reached 100! I love you guys sooooo much! 

Vote 

Comment 

Fan! 

The car was silent as Seth sped down the highway headed towards home. His grip on the steering wheel tightened, his knuckles straining bone white. His anger laced the air thick enough that you could cut it with a knife.

 I was shaken too. It was one thing to smell the two trackers, but seeing them in person had pulled those memories of my old life to the front of my mind. They reminded me of the time when I felt that I was weak, mindless, pathetic girl who got everyone close to her killed.

“Are you alright?” Seth asked me as softly as he could through clenched teeth.

“Yeah just a little shocked. I didn’t think that they would stick around after they left their message from Father.” I said in a small voice looking down at my folded hands that lay in my lap.

“They shouldn’t be here at all! Not with the extra security that we have added specifically around town, and they defiantly should not have been able to sneak up on us like that.” Awe so that’s what’s got him so pissed off. His moon gifted ability always giving him a one-up on everyone and now he felt that he’s fallen behind. 

I could hear him growling under his breath and his grip on the wheel was almost crushing. “Seth pull over for a minute.” I said calming not wanting to be the one that set him off with all of that anger coursing through him. 

His eye flick over to me for a long moment before he complies and pulled the truck over to the shoulder of the highway.

For a few moments we sat in silence. It wasn’t a comfortable silence to say the least but full of raging tension. Final I spoke, “It’s not your fault that you couldn’t smell them. They are the best at what they do; no one knows that they’re there until it is too late.” I said, my whisper voice cutting through the thick air surrounding us.

Seth’s statue like stillness breaks suddenly into a flurry of actions; arms striking out at the stirring wheel nearly breaking it in two. His body began to shake uncontrollably and angry growls poured from between his lengthening canines.

“It doesn’t matter if they are the best! I should have been able to sense them! How am I supposed to protect you if I can’t even smell the enemy?” He snarled. He was close to changing, so very close. His rage bringing forth his wolf as it fed of the blind angry coursing through him. I had to stop him, if he changed here on the side of the highway a human could see and our secret would be out. Revealing yourself to a human was punishable only by death. No trial, no jury, just execution. I couldn’t let that happen, not to Seth!

Without even thinking I unclipped my seat belt, crawled over the center consul and onto Seth’s lap wrapping my arms tightly around his shaking frame.     

“It’s okay. I’m okay. I’m not hurt, you protected me.” I cooed to him, repeating it over and over again. Gradually the shaking decreased and then stopped all together. It wasn’t until then that Seth wrapped his own arms around my middle and pulled me tightly against him. I relaxed into his warmth and realized that at the exact moment I would rather be here than anywhere else in the world. I looked up at Seth to see his eye closed as he calmed himself. I don’t think he ever looked so handsome. His cheekbones were high with a chiseled jaw  to match and when he opened his eyes and looked down at me with those eerie grey orbs I knew that this was where I belong.

As if pulled by a string I started to slowly lean up towards him. Time nearly stood still as Seth moved to meet me half way. I could feel his warm breath fan my face, smelling of strawberries from the smoothie we shared at the mall. Nothing else mattered except Seth and the need for his lips to be pressed against mine.

We were so close, my gaze flicking between his eyes and his full pink lips that looked so soft. Only a millimeter separated us, Seth leaned down a bit more closing that space and was just about to touch his lips to mine and-a knock at the window jolted us apart, our eyes swinging to the driver’s side window where and bright light was shining in at us.     

I pulled away and scampered over back to the passenger seat as Seth rolled down the window. The officer dropped the light away from our faces and gave us an inquiring look.

“What are you two younglings doing parked on the side of the highway like this?” The way he asked us told that he already made up his mind on what we were “doing”.

 “Sorry officer, we just had a run in with my girlfriend’s dirt bag ex at the mall. He just pisses me off thinking that he owns her or something. So when we left I was upset and so was she, so we pulled over to cool off and talk for a moment before we got home.” Seth lied smoothly flashing the policeman a smile.  

“Talking huh? Didn’t look like much talking was happening son.” The officer said with a raised eyebrow obviously not believing us.

“Well if you had a girlfriend as beautiful as she is curled up on your lap wanting comfort, you’d probably try to steal a kiss too.” He said looking over at me, giving me a wink before he looked back at the officer.

The officer obviously had been on the force for many years, his hair was greying and he had tiered old brown eyes. A bit on the hefty side, but was probably quite a sight in his earlier days being so tall and broad shouldered.

“She is a pretty little thing, reminds me of my granddaughter.” The officer said with a smile, and looked at me, “I’ll let you two go this time with a warning, but don’t let me catch you out here “talking” again.” He told us with a small smile.

“Thank you officer, we’ll be heading home now. Have a good day.” Seth said rolling his window up and merging back into traffic heading back to the Pack house.

After we had driven out of sight of the officer Seth looked over at me and said, “That was a close one.” ,and chuckled.

“Yeah it was.” I said with a smile of my own. 

It wasn’t until then when Seth left me to my thoughts that I realized something.

He said I was beautiful.