From Nerd to Hottie (3)

The next morning, I got up really late and immediately started thinking shot mine and Nolen's plans. I don't think we had anything planned for sure so I decided I'd surprise him. I threw on some shorts and a tank top and put my hair in a wavy pony tail. I got my big Abercrombie bag and walked down to the kitchen.  

I guess mom was off work today because she was in the kitchen drinking coffee. "Hi, Paige. What's up?" 

"Hey, mom." I greeted. I ran directly towards the cabinet that had all the snack foods and mixes in it.  

"Honey, what are you doing?" Mom asked as I ransacked the cupboard.  

Both my arms were fully in the cabinet and I was squinting in the darkness, trying to looks for what I wanted.  

"Paige!" Mom snapped.  

"What?" I turned my head.  

Mom crossed her arms and walked over. "What are you doing?" 

"Looking for stuff." I replied and started searching for through the cabinet again.  

She was angry. "I can see that. But what are you looking for and why?" 

I laughed. "Oh, I'm going to Nolen's house and-" 

"Who?" Mom asked.  

"Nolen Richards. He's my new friend!" I exclaimed.  

Mom looked at me like I was crazy. "Are you alright? You sound like your seven. Is everything OK?" She touched the back of her hand to my forehead. "Paige-" 

"Mom!" I yelled. "I'm fine, OK! I met Nolen the other day. He was bein made fun of. I'm helping him with something!" 

She backed up a little bit. "Helping with what? His baking skills?"  

I laughed sarcastically. "Ha-Ha, no!" 

"Then what?" Mom shouted. 

I sighed. "I'm helping him be less 'nerdy.'" 

Mom laughed. "No, really, Paige, what?" 

"I'm serious." I said with a completely straight face. 

She backed away without a word.  

I started rummaging through the cupboard again. I found exactly what I was looking for- cake mix, brownie mix, and cookie mix. I threw it into my huge bag and walked over to the fridge. I grabbed an avocado and a bottle of honey. I started quickly pealing the avocado. Then I poured the honey into a tupawear bowl and mashed some avocado in it.  

Mon walked back into the kitchen. "Paige?" 

"Don't ask, mom." I shooed her away.  

Mom left again and I continued mixing and stirring.  

I put a lid on the bowl and putt that in my bag too. I grabbed a bottled water for myself and then headed out the door.  

I walked nice and slow around the corner towards Grand Avenue where Nolen lived. I looked for his car in all the driveways and I immediately found spotted it. I walked to the door and rang the door bell.  

Nolen appeared immediately. "Paige?"  

"Hey! I came to see you!" I smiled cheerfully.  

"For what?" Nolen asked. He looked scared and worried.  

My smile faded. "I wanted to bring you something. And I thought we could bake some cookies or brownies or cake. Is this a bad time?" 

"No." Nolen shook his head. He stepped out of his house and closed the door. He walked to a little couch on the pouch and motioned for me to sit.  

I followed. "What's wrong?" 

"I need to tell you something." Nolen said.  

I nodded.  

Nolen took a deep breath. "We didn't move here because the bad economy. We moved her because my Dad died and my sister has cancer." 

My jaw dropped. "Nolen... I'm so sorry." I reached over and hugged him. "How are you doing? And your sister? And your mom? Do you guys manage?" 

"We get by." Nolen replied. "I have to start working in a few days though." 

"Oh..." I sighed.  

He nodded.  

"It's OK, were friends now, you can tell me anything." I smiled at him.  

Nolen looked down. "I really don't want people at school to know, Paige. Please don't tell anyone." 

"I won't tell if you don't want me to." I agreed. 

There was a huge silence.  

"Are we still going to continue with this whole make-over thing?" I asked.  

"Can we?" Nolen kind of smiled.  

I gave him another hug. "Of course!" 

"Cool." Nolen's smile got bigger.  

"So, here." I handed him the tupawear bowl. "Its for your face. It'll give you amazing skin in a few weeks. This is what I use. Just wash your face with a tiny bit once a day and you'll have the best skin in town!" I laughed. "OK?" 

Nolen laughed at me. "Sure thing." 

"Are we going to bake something?" I asked.  

"Can we at your house?" Nolen asked.  

I nodded.  

Nolen locked his door and followed me home.  

When we got back to my house, I brought out the baking mixes. Nolen and I decided to make them all.  

While everything was in the oven, Nolen and I talked at the dinning table and drank coffee.  

"Should we put sprinkles on them?" I asked.  

"Are you kidding!" Nolen exclaimed. "It's not cake and cookies without frosting and sprinkles!" 

I giggled. "OK! I didn't know you were so passionate about baked goods." 

"I actually really like baking." Nolen admitted. "I enjoying tryin new recipes and making them from scratch." 

I gasped. "That's so cool!" I was genuine when I said that, too. "So you were disappointed when I pulled out the box mix?" 

"Well, yes and no." Nolen laughed.  

"When do you start work?" I asked, changing the subject.  

Nolen looked around a little bit before answering. "Monday." He finally replied. "I'm working at Target." 

"Target!" I exclaimed. "No, that's cool." 

All of a sudden, Mom walked in. "Paige, who's this?" 

"Nolen." I answered.  

"Hi, Nolen. I'm Ms. Summers." Mom introduced herself.  

Nolen smiled. "Nice to meet you." 

"I just happen to hear that you have a summer job." Mom said.  

Nolen nodded. "Yes." 

Mom grinned and turned towards me. "Paige, your friend here has a job. You should get one too." 

"But what for?" I asked. "I don't need the money." 

Mom laughed. "Save it! Give it to charity! Give to me!" 

Then a light bulb went off in my head. I could get a job, save up the money, and use it to help Nolen with his make-over!