Chapter 131: In The Name Of Love

Jack followed the nightmares to the scariest one of all. He flew directly to Pitch.

"Here! I've got her! I've got Wendy!" Jack carried Wendy onto the Jolly Roger. Nightmares watched hungrily as he offered her to Pitch. "I've got your shadow worker, so hand over Elsa! Come on Pitch!" Jack eyed his staff, still in Pitch's possession. "You promised."

Pitch turned, breaking from his conference with Ruber, Drago, and Captain Hook. Aside from Pitch, no one could see Jack, but when the villains saw Wendy they celebrated.

"At last. Miss Darling." Captain Hook appraised Wendy's bondages. "Someone even tied her up for us! How thoughtful, just like pre cut meat. Poor dear, she looks terribly uncomfortable."

Captain Hook caressed Wendy through her wrappings. "Pitch, who is this frost phantom that brings us Miss Darling?"

Jack swerved before Pitch could respond. "Bug off bozo, this is between me and Pitch! And I'm not giving any of you Wendy until you give me Elsa!"

Ice prickled around Jack's feet. Captain Hook wryly interpreted the outburst. "Well, someone seems a tad frosty."

"Good one." Jack snarled as Pitch advanced. "Funny, hooked right onto that pun."

"You've done well, Jack Frost, don't spoil your success." Pitch materialized behind Jack. Palm on his shoulder, he led Jack portside. The pirates had extended a gangplank over the bulwark, pointed directly at Avalon.

Jack skipped airborne as Pitch ushered him onto the plank. "You guys do know I can fly, right?"

Pitch pointed beyond the plank, deep within Avalon. His finger nearly disappeared into the swirling snow. "Elsa is there Jack, in the heart of this snowstorm. Peter Pan is watching over her, waiting for us to arrive with Wendy."

Jack adjusted Wendy. "And then? Pitch you said this would be a trade. Wendy for Elsa."

"And it will be a trade." Pitch assured, playfully jouncing the plank. "Once Wendy and Elsa repair the Black Cauldron, reawaken the souls inside, I will give you Elsa."

The villains snickered. Captain Hook inwardly congratulated Pitch. Neither Elsa nor Wendy would survive the Black Cauldron's resurrection. When their powers combined, Wendy would freeze and Elsa could lose her soul. So yes Jack: Pitch would hand over Elsa. She might be soulless and insane, but she would be fairly traded.

Jack noticed the smirks. He glanced at Wendy. "What's going to happen to her?"

"What?"

"When I get Elsa, what's going to happen to Wendy?"

Pitch wagged a finger. "Curiosity killed the cat, Jack. Don't be sentimental, it's an unhealthy practice and really not your style. Remember? You are Jack Frost. You are not an idealist, you are not a crusader, you are not a protector...you are not a guardian."

Pitch smiled. "And neither do you want to be. You only want what I want – to be seen. To be believed in. To be loved. And those selfish desires, can never make you a guardian."

Jack stiffened. He looked at Wendy, bound and bloody in his arms. Then his chest caved, just slightly, in a silent, outward admittance of the evil inside.

Pitch summoned his nightmares. Nightmare-sand mixed with Jack's frost and Elsa's snowflakes. The sunset glinted sharply through the blend.