Chapter 93: I See Fire, Hollowing Souls.

When Wendy dismantled Stoick, Arthur struck the Viking chief with all his strength.

Arthur knew he would lose (and he did). He was no match for Stoick. Excalibur's magic empowered Arthur as king, not as a killer. Stoick was a giant with super-human strength. The Vikings alleged that when Stoick was a baby, he popped a dragon's head clean off its shoulders. And it was true.

So when Arthur crossed Excalibur with Stoick's cast-iron axe, he lost. Stoick deflected Arthur with a blow that Merlin felt across time. 

Stoick annihilated Arthur. But it didn't matter. What mattered was that King Arthur did not abandon his people as they died on his behalf. He defied anyone to attack their kingdom under his reign.

Yes, Arthur was a protector, a defender of his people. 

Much... actually exactly...like Chief Stoick.

"Hold little king!" Stoick shoved a knee into Arthur's neck, pinning him down. With the other, he secured Excalibur against the gravel. "It takes more than bravery to protect yer land!"

Arthur cringed, searching unsuccessfully for Wendy as brimstone singed his face.

"Stoick!" he pushed Stoick's knee. It didn't budge. "Stoick what are you doing? If you want me then take me, but leave my people alone!"

Stoick frowned. "What?"

"LEAVE MY PEOPLE ALONE!"

It was then that Stoick knew -- Arthur had not murdered the Otherland king.

Until this moment, Stoick had been caught between his own suspicions and Hiccup's assertions, but King Arthur's comment tipped the scale.

Stoick connected the dots. All his suspicions added up. One, Drago had misspoken before, he had predicted the Fantasians would not expect the ambush. Two, the Vikings were mysteriously reinforced by an undead army, something that Drago had neglected to mention. Three, Fantasia was not prepared for war. If Fantasia had slain the Otherland's king, they surely would have been.

And finally, King Arthur had just offered himself in exchange for his people's safety. That was the sign of a king. It was not the sign of a power-hungry murderer.

But just to be sure, Chief Stoick asked.

"Did ye kill the Otherland king?"

Arthur struggled. "What?"

Stroick leaned into his knee, holding Arthur still. "Did ye kill the Otherland king?"

Arthur's lip curled. "I don't kill the innocent, Stoick."

"Thor's beard. HICCUP!" Stoick hauled Arthur by his scruff. Unconsciously batting Shang's arrows as they zipped for his face, Stoick barreled for Skullcrusher. "HICCUP! By the name of – where is that boy? Hiccup! We need to mount before – "

Arthur rammed into Stoick. He almost dislocated a shoulder. Nevertheless valiant, Arthur swung Excalibur, but Stoick effortlessly slapped it down. 

Arthur didn't give up.

"Call off your Vikings!" he demanded. "Call off your dragons or I'll – "

"Doof it in yer helmet!" Stoick growled, expending an indelicate Viking adage in his frustration. "We've been fooled, hit right in the blind spot! It's Drago that wants ye, not me! They're after ye -- but it doesn't matter!"