Chapter 112: School of Shadow

"So where is School of Shadow?"

"School of Shadow?" Wendy licked oatmeal from her fingers. It was unladylike, but after all she was in Berk– no sense in offending the host with table manners. "What do you mean School of Shadow?"

"I mean your school." Hiccup flashed his hands, alluding to Wendy's shadow working. "Where did you learn shadow working? How long have you been a student? What sort of classes do you – "

"Now wait just a moment!" Wendy curtailed Hiccup's questions. "I went to Fantasia School for the Magically Skewed, just like everybody else! That's a normal sort of school. We learn the basics – math, grammar, biology, astronomy. I was actually pre-med before this shadow working ordeal happened. There is no School of Shadow."

Hiccup looked crushed, stunned, and enthralled. "None? At all?"

"Not that I'm aware of."

"Huh..." Hiccup dug his spoon methodically into his cheek. He stared at Wendy, oblivious to Toothless picking beef jerky from his oatmeal. "Interesting...so no School of Shadow? You didn't go to school for shadow working?"

"Well it's not the most tasteful of career paths!" Wendy teased, although she was perturbed by Hiccup's intrigue. "Or rewarding. Shadow working is...Well, when I was chosen, my classmates tried to drown me."

"That I can understand." Hiccup admitted. "Shadow working is pretty mysterious. It's only natural for us to be afraid. I mean you scared the living daylights out of us! Astrid wanted to kill you with Thor's hammer."

"Charming."

"So if there's no School of Shadow..." Hiccup restated, clearly infatuated with the idea. "Then where did you get your training? Was it an apprenticeship? You know, like Gobber training me to be a blacksmith?"

Wendy laughed weakly. "That would have been lovely, wouldn't it? No again, I'm afraid. The last full-fledged shadow worker was a warlock named Yen Sid. I never met him. Yen Sid's apprentice – Headmaster Mickey – knew very little about shadow working. I've just been...learning as I go."

Wendy shrugged. She considered the explanation a dull ending to her shadow working tale.

But Hiccup was captivated.

"Really?" Hiccup's voice cartwheeled with excitement. "So it's just you? You're the only shadow worker in Fantasia?"

"No." Wendy answered. "There is another shadow worker named Facilier. Facilier's powers are different than mine. But we were both chosen by the Magic Bag of Tricks – "

"Different than yours? What do you mean Facilier's powers are different than yours?"

Wendy reclined slightly. Hiccup was practically drooling with interest.

"Facilier can control his own shadow, but only his." Wendy pointed to her shadow, stretched across the sunset. "I can't control my shadow. However, I can manipulate the shadows of other people. And..." Wendy added as Toothless nudged her knee. "The shadows of dragons and animals, it seems."

Hiccup bounced with enthusiasm. "And who chose you to be a shadow worker?"

"Not a who – a what. When I was fifteen, I picked an enchanted needle, thread, and thimble from the Magic Bag of Tricks. They helped me to  – "

"What's the Magic Bag of Tricks?"

"An upside-down hat that grants magical powers or magical items when students pick from – "