Chapter 70: NERF WAR

Game night.

Battle stations everyone.

"CHEAT!" John (stripped to his undershirt) lunged for Jim's throat. Rainbow Monopoly money scattered as he caterwauled across the table. "YOU CURMUDGEON! YOU SULLION! YOU RAMPALLIAN! YOU PUTRID DOG FACED BARNACLE!"

It was too perfect. 

Jim aimed imaginary guns. 

"Oh god I've always wanted to do this." Savoring the moment, he adopted the most Wendy-ish accent he could. "Language!"

John clutched his chest as the table roared.

"OF – ALL – THE – NERVE!" Heroically, John brandished his umbrella. "And NOW you BESMIRCH my SISTER! MY FAMILY! THE SACRED NAME OF DARLING! ACK! MICHAEL – VALIANT BROTHER! SHALL WE STAND FOR IT?!?!"

"No!" Michael cheered, skipping over Lilo, Stitch, and Tigerlily. Using John's tie as a karate headband, Michael dressed his brother for war. "Never ever ever! Jim you take back what you said about Wendy! You old bilge rat!"

"Boys!" Laughing beside Ariel, Sarah reached for John's umbrella. "Boys not in the house – !"

"PREACH BROTHER MICHAEL!" John bellowed. Tie flapping over his glasses, he sashayed the umbrella at Jim. "MISTER HAWKINS YOU WILL REPENT FOR YOUR SLURS AGAINST OUR SISTER OR I SHANT PAY YOUR INCONSEQUENTIAL SUM!"

"Shant?" Jim leapt, playing along. "You landed on my Monopoly! What tile did you land on – orange? St. JAMES Place –?"

He quick high-fived Ariel before returning to gloat.

"—St. James Place WITH A HOTEL so it looks like you owe me NINE HUNDRED AND FIFTY BIG ONES Minister of Finance! PAY UP!"

"I SHANT!"

"WANNA BET?"

"HA! GENTLEMEN DO NOT BET!"

"WANNA FIGHT?"

"OH!" John discarded his glasses. "THAT WE MOST CERTAINLY DO! MICHAEL MY UMBRELLA! JIM – EN GARDE!"

The environment cold not have been more pleasantly hostile. 

Each 'game night' contender was lethal in their own special way. The Hawkins family hated to lose. Ariel loved to win. The Darlings all had nasty competitive streaks. Tigerlily was a silent killer.  Lilo and Stich were just cheats. It was the perfect recipe for a cutthroat extravaganza.

"Boys!" Sarah called as Jim, John, and Michael wrestled over furniture. She grabbed, but Stitch sailed into the fray, making it three against one. Jim was squashed like a pancake. "Boys no roughhousing! John! Michael! Stitch! Jim! All of you --! Oh! Oh well..."

Defeated, Sarah waved. "Lilo get the NERF guns."

It was epic. Their NERF war would have sold a blockbuster hit! The air turned orange with NERF foam and thick with war cries! It started everyone against Jim, Jim against John, everyone against Stitch, Stitch against Stitch (no one understood how THAT worked), then girls against boys for the finale.

Nobody won. Nobody lost. But everybody had fun.

"Come back any time." Sarah hugged Ariel on the doorstep. She withdrew a moment as Tigerlily waved, taking Lilo and Stitch home. After a distant farewell, Sarah returned to Ariel. "Honestly, honey. Any time at all. It's been a delight having you. And..."