Chapter 29: The Round Table (Round 1)

Ariel accepted King Arthur's hand. Unabashed, she gave him a great big hug.

Master Cogsworth slapped his head. Fail. Kings do not publicly display affection.

Headmaster Mickey waved a hand, calming Master Cogsworth. Ariel had saved King Arthur in the Battle to Take Fantasia. Of the guardians, she was his closest friend. Headmaster Mickey was willing to let Arthur have this informal moment. It wouldn't hurt anyone: Master Cogsworth would survive.

Arthur released Ariel. Excusing himself, he strode through the guardians and lifted a hand to the Fantasians.

Headmaster Mickey's smile vanished. Uh oh. Impromptu speech? Again?

"Your Majesty – " he began as Master Cogsworth eeped.

"MY PEOPLE!" Arthur circled Excalibur. "THE GUARDIANS HAVE RETURNED! EVERYBODY -- TAKE THE DAY OFF!"

Again, the Fantasians went nuts: Fireworks, hurrahs, hugs, kisses, singing, dancing, All Hail King Arthur, Long Live the King!

Master Cogsworth slapped his head. Fail. Kings do not proclaim spontaneous holidays.

Flynn nudged Admiral Triton. "I really love this kid."

With a final wave, Arthur sheathed Excalibur. He answered Master Cogsworth's disproving glare with a rueful apology: contrite, a little sheepish, and slightly humored.

"I know. No spontaneous holidays. But its midday, everyone is excited: I don't think they'd work much this afternoon anyway." He verified with Headmaster Mickey. "Right?"

Headmaster Mickey shrugged sweetly. "You're the king."

Arthur huffed good-naturedly. Headmaster Mickey had been saying that lately. 'You're the king.' The expression granted Arthur political freedoms and forced his independence. It was nerve-wracking, especially for his advisors, but Master Merlin had insisted that Arthur start standing on his own. After all, he was king; and he was developing into a good one.

"All right then." Arthur squared to the guardians. "To the Round Table. This way."

The guardians followed. There was a definite skip in Arthur's step. Evidently, the king was very happy to see them.

Automatically, the dignitaries and legionnaires encompassed King Arthur and the guardians. Taking the rear, Agent Bubbles scanned the Fantasian vista before closing the doors.

"All clear." he said into wrist recorder. "Over and out. Rendezvous at the Round Table."

As King Arthur was scolded by Masters Cogsworth and Donald, they continued. The castle's interior was magnificent as it's outer façade. Hardwood floors gleamed under white arches. The arches sprouted overhead like trees, and the ceiling was decorated with cobalt blue mosaics. Each hall was illuminated, warm, and open – just like a clear, sunny day.

Jim wove around Wendy. Swiftly, he kissed Ariel.

"Hey babe."

Hi! Ariel kissed him again, this time longer.  Then, almost immediately,  Ariel leaned across Jim, tugged Wendy, and mouthed something.

Wendy blinked. She couldn't read Ariel's lips.

"Sorry." she whispered. "Again?"