"What do I..." She began to ask, turning back to him when she was half way down the hall but he was also gone.

----

"Javiera." Javi heard her name the moment she stumbled through the doors of her apartment building. She was dazed, a little confused and definitely looked like she'd been run over.

"Mrs. Pateli." Javi said, turning to face the woman. "Hey."

"I wanted to confirm that your check went through." the woman said with a smile. Javi raised her brow.

"Good." She said, recalling that Matteo had taken care of things.

"But I'm afraid you'll still have to move out at the end of the month." She said. Javi sighed, a little concerned but then it suddenly hit her. Whatever happened, all she had to do was go to Matteo...right?

"I understand and I'm already working on it." Javi said, moving away. "I'm sorry to cut the conversation short but, It's been a long day and I'm a mess."

Javi said, beginning to move away.

"that's fine, dear but don't forget to come by and sign an Intent to vacate before you go." Mrs. Pateli said. Javi didn't hear, she was already unlocking her door and closing it behind her.

Javi didn't move. Instead she stared at the small hall that led to her small apartment. It was barely furnished but even so, it looked crowded. She walked slowly, turning first to the left where there was a kitchenette with a bar and then to her right. At the far end was a sofa that pulled out into a bed and a closet without a door. There was a restroom, no tub just a rusty shower- it was so basic. The only thing in Javi's apartment that was really worth anything was her equipment. Everything else, she could just as easily loose and not care.

Javi moved towards the corner that held her weight set and wondered silently if this was something she could take with her or if maybe there would be something provided for her.

Javi shook her head, moving towards the restroom. She needed to sleep. It was nearly midnight and there was too much racing through her mind- she was sure that she'd have another of her strange dreams. Javi closed her eyes and let the water fall over her head.

Matteo. She whispered the name. An Italian Don and now... her boss? the thought alone was startling. He was a man of decided presence, one you couldn't ignore and handsome as the devil. Then her thoughts suddenly went to the man with him today-Jack. She had thought Matteo was intimidating but this man was something else! Where Matteo reeked of a certain type of elegance and grace, Jack looked ruthless. He was a large man, built larger than Matteo, with large muscles that covered his arms fiercely. And those hands... she had noticed how Jack's large hands looked strong- strong enough to crush her throat with a gentle squeeze if he wanted to.

Javi tried to shake the thought of his hands from her head but she couldn't. Matteo was intimidating but Jack downright scared her.

As Javi closed her eyes, she pictured Matteo's grin but also the scowl on Jack's face.

----

Javi was exhausted, but she still woke early. It was habit. Her body was used to it and it was just after 4:30.

With a sigh, she moved to get dressed. A run. A nice long Run- that would help her sort her thoughts. She usually stared the day with the weights, but today was different. Had yesterday been a dream? Could it be that she had imagined the whole thing?

She needed to think and when it came to that, running was the best thing. Javi was dressed and ready to go in under 10 minutes but as she stepped outside, a crunch under her foot caught her attention.

"What in the world?" She muttered, looking down at her foot. She stepped aside, noticing that the mat outside her apartment was slightly elevated. There was something under it.

Javi turned, looking around. There was no one in sight- of course not. No one was ever up this early. Still, she gave a second glance before bending over as if to tie her shoe lace and reaching under the mat.

It was a large Manila Envelope. Her name was written across it in black marker. That was all. Javi slipped the envelope under her sweat shirt and quickly let herself back into her apartment.

"that was fast." She said to herself, realizing this must be the instructions she had been warned about. Javi turned to the peep hole on her door and looked out- no one. Talk about paranoid. she quickly did up the several bolts on the door and moved towards the counter top, slipping the envelope out as she moved.

She stared at it for a bit, realizing that once she opened it, there really was no going back. She must have been crazy to accept yesterday- insane. Could she really do this?

Javi walked over to her refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of water before moving back to the envelope. It was a little creepy- she figured they'd investigated her thoroughly but whoever left this under her mat was too well informed. The knew that she'd be the first person out in the morning, they knew when to leave this so that she would be the only one around when she found it.

Javi sat down on the stool and stared at it for a second.

"Well, Javiera... you've come this far..." She said to herself, snatching up the envelope and opening it before she could regret it.

She flipped it over, emptying out it's contents. There was a few sheets of paper, folded up, a cell phone, a set of keys and a smaller envelope. Curious, she stared at the phone which, wouldn't you know it, was fully charged and turned on immediately.

She navigated through it for a few seconds, realizing it was empty. No contacts... nothing. With a sigh, she turned to the sheets of paper, beginning to read it carefully.

Enclosed you will find the following:

A list of things you need to do by next Sunday.

A list of things you will need to prepare to bring with you.

A cell phone - for business only.

Your first payment.

We will see you soon.

Javi opened the small envelope and pulled out a small stack of hundreds.

"wow." She whispered, counting them slowly. There was $5 grand. She stared at the money for a second, and then counted it again. She had never had so much money for herself at one time. Never.

Javi picked up the other papers, reading first a list of things she would need to pack and then a list of things she would not be allowed to bring. The list was incredibly specific- down to what shoes she should have. She immediately realized she did not have some of what was on the list. Perhaps this was why they had given her money.

The list also specified that she should not bring anything she couldn't carry in her duffle bag. So much for her weights.

The next list was also very specific. She was told that in one week should have to cancel any and all contracts under her name: Light, phone, water, credit cards, everything. Close any open bank accounts, she would be provided with a new one. Dispense of all her possessions except those listed in the list, and terminate current employment.

"Sandra." She whispered, realizing the deadline was for next Sunday. She would have to quit with only a week's notice.

"Shit." Javi suddenly said, realizing that she had not returned to check on the shop the day before. Javi began to panic, knowing she had not locked up and began to move quickly. She wrapped the money up in a paper towel before placing it in a ziplock bag and tossing it in the back of her freezer. Then she hurried, hiding the envelope with the remaining belongings in the sofa bed before running out the door.