Chapter 42

~•~ Chapter 42 ~•~

I checked the cloth around my wound on my arm to see a deep red stain of blood on it. I sighed and let my hair free from my ponytail before I ran a shaky hand through it. Louis next to me was loading his other guns, along with mine. He had changed his tee with a new one that he had brought with him. Smart guy, I wish I had brought one with me, too.

Zayn was driving, quiet and thoughtful, as if he still couldn't stop thinking about what happened. Hell, I even couldn't do it, either. He had smoke 3 cigarettes so far, but I knew he would smoke more. This was a long ride.

Harry on the passenger seat was staring outside, leaning against the window with his arm resting on the windowpane. The warm wind brushed against his face, pushing his hair back. I averted my eyes to the noisy Louis next to me, who was loading one gun after the other, probably trying to get his mind off things.

None of us spoke. No words needed to be voiced. We had escaped a living nightmare and images and adrenaline were still fresh inside of us. The blood on my arms made me feel sick of own myself. I hated it down there, like I really hated it.

The rocks our Jeep passed through, the guns loading from the seag beside me and the engine roaring were the only sound made. We didn't want to speak. A part of me wanted to blame Harry for what we went through, but of course, I pushed those selfish thoughts away. Harry did what he had to do. He had no clue what was really down there, or that the officer had lied to him.

The buildings of the city came to sight and my stomach tightened. For a moment I wanted to puke, but I held myself. Lowering down my window, I peered around, still confused as to why these zombies are living underground, and why are they blind? How did they end up down there? Sighing, I pushed away all the torturous thoughts.

I leaned my head against Louis' shoulder and closed my eyes. He didn't say anything sarcastic about my dirty clothes pressed against his clean tee, thankfully. He had finished loading the guns and placed them at the space behind our seats. He leaned his head on top of mine and sighed. To be honest, I thought of Louis as my brother, along with the other guys, except from Harry, who I started have feelings for. There was chemistry between us, and I liked that.

I caught Harry's eyes staring at us through the reaverview mirror but he immidiately looked away. I was too tired to think about his reactions, although a part of me was satisfied that he might was slightly jealous.

"How did you find our way out?" Louis asked, breaking the silence after so long.

"I saw a light and I went to it. If it wasn't for the light, we would probably still be down there." I answered flatly.

"Thank God you noticed that light." Zayn muttered, caramel eyes focused ahead.

"Yeah.." I murmured, scratching the back of my head that ached. I hate how hard those zombies pulled at my hair. Next time they do it, I'll make sure they suffer before I kill them. No one messes with my hair.

"How is your wound, Claire?" Harry spoke for the first time since we drove off, voice deep and low.

"Uh, it's fine, it doesn't hurt." I answered, shrugging.

He nodded, looking outside the window with a serious expression on his face. I noticed the muscle on his jaw ticking as he clenched it. He was pissed off, probably jealous, and that only made a smirk play on my lips. However, when he cleared his throat, the smirk disappeared, fearing that he might felt me staring.

"I need a cigarette," Zayn murmured, shaking his head.

"Again? You already smoked three." I said, giving the back of hia head a strange look.