Chapter 16

~•~ Chapter 16 ~•~

Liam and I went at the cafeteria to eat something after 5 hours of training. I begged and begged to go to my room for a shower and a nap, but Liam insisted that if Harry sees me in my room 2 hours earlier than I should, there would've been some consequences for both of us. So, without another option, I agreed to follow Liam's rules.

The cafeteria was full, multiple voices talking was like a buzz to my ears as I walked between the tables. Liam and I waited by the line, holding empty trays in our hands. I spotted Kate and Erika sitting at the table with Louis and, to my surprise, Thomas. As if he felt my eyes, he turned his head and looked over to me, brown tired eyes looking somewhat light today.

He gave me a small smile that I gladly returned. Our little conversation last night was nice and I can't say that I don't like Thomas. He is a good guy, totally trust-worthy. Maybe going through Louis' challenge was absolutely worth it, after all. I made a new friend and what is better than friends these days? Nothing.

“Guess what's the menu for today.” Liam said, making me look away from Thomas.

“Umm..a soup?” I said without thinking, scrunching my brows.

“Better,” he stated, taking two steps forward, I followed. “Pizza.”

My eyes widened. “I have to eat pizza for months.” I admitted.

“I have to eat for about..three weeks.” He shrugged. “You should see how happy the kids are when they get a big slice. They ask for more and more and of course, we give it to them.” A smile pulled at his luscious lips.

I smiled. “It's really nice that you try to make their lives as normal as they can be.”

“Yeah, Harry does his best every day.” He said, moving forward, me following.

The sweet girl behind the counter placed two large slices of pizza, the smell making my stomach grumble. “Thanks, babe.” Liam gave her a charming smile that made her blush.

“My pleasure, Liam.” She giggled. She was so cute.

Liam moved out of the way and waited for me. The girl gave me my two slices of pizza and I swear I was about to ask her for two more, but I resisted. We have kids here, I can't be that selfish.

“Thanks.” I said kindly and she smiled. I followed Liam to an empty table, my eyes never leaving the pizza in my plate. I was starving and the melting cheese didn't help my self-control. “You like that girl?” I teased, nudging Liam's shoulder.

Liam chuckled. “Uh, no,” he said, taking a seat down. I sat beside him. “I just like making her blush. She is really shy, and really cute. But..” he trailed off, his smile fading a bit as he stared down at his slices.

“But?” I pressed, taking my slice in my hands. It was warm and I couldn't wait any longer. I took a large bite, moaning as the delicious taste filled my mouth. “Sorry,” I chuckled.

“No, no, it's fine.” he assured, taking a bite of his own pizza. “That girl, Lilly, she is..too good for me. And besides, I'm in the army group, which means I'm at risk every day. I can't do that to her. I can't be with her and then never come back one day. You never know what's gonna happen to you when you go on a raid. I don't want to hurt her like that.”

His words made me think about it for a moment. He's right. If he and Lilly get together, that means that if anything happens to Liam one day on a raid, Lilly is going to be devastated. That's how Liam's job is though, but that doesn't make Liam less selfless than he is. He is seriously a very unique personality.