Chapter 23

~•~ Chapter 23 ~•~

Three and a half hours had passed since theire departure and the anticipation inside of me was intense and strong. I was alone in my room, Thomas and Erika decided to go to sleep. I couldn't sleep though, and that anxiety and fear within my chest is just exhausting and overwhelming.

I decided to go to the cafeteria and wait there. If I stayed in my room I wouldn't be able to know when they come. I left my bedroom, ignoring the looks the guard gave me and entered the cafeteria. It wasn't that full, but it was crowded and peacefully quiet. It was calming. I took a seat on the table and stared up at the black large clock on the white wall. 11:43pm, a few minutes before midnight, and that only added to the worry I felt.

Midnight, out there, absolutely terrifying. I remember how difficult it was for me to leave my hideout and find another one at midnight. All the zombies were out, for some unknown strange reason. I fidgeted with my fingers and bit my cheek. They'll come back and they're gonna be okay.

The elevator doors opened and loud voices suddenly entered the room, causing me and everyone in the room to jump and look at the people who stormed inside. I stood up to take a better view and my heart came up to my throat.

"Oh no." I whispered before walking towards them, my blood running cold in my veins.

"Somebody open the door!" Harry yelled as he helped Liam carry in their arms a very wounded Niall, who had a bleeding leg. Pain was plastered on his face, his hair messy and blood was spread on his cheekbone. Zayn, Chris, Louis and Kate followed from behind, all of them worried and stressed, their clothes covered in dust, blood and dirt.

I ran towards the recovery room and pressed the button, opening the large doors for Harry and Liam. They entered the room, Niall making some pained sounds as he shut his eyes closed. "What happened?" I asked Kate, who was breathing heavily as she followed the rest of the boys.

"I don't know-I didn't see!" She answered quickly, both of us entering the room.

"Louis!" Liam called. "Get my medicine bag! Hurry!" He ordered through clenched teeth.

"Got it!" Louis said as he rushed to the table with all the supplies and tools.

"Easy, easy," Harry said as he and Liam leaned over the bed, gently placing Niall on it. "Watch out his leg," he said as Liam took Niall's shoes off.

"Don't worry man, you're gonna be alright." Liam assured, stress clear on his innocent face.

Niall tilted his head back and clenched his teeth. "Ah!" he hissed. "Fuck!" he exclaimed, his chest rising and falling as he drew heavy breaths. He was losing a lot of blood and that worried me.

"What the hell happened?" I asked again, looking at Zayn and Chris.

"I don't know, Louis was supposed to be covering him!" Zayn answered, raising his hands in the air.

"Louis was covering me!" Chris claimed, staring at Zayn in frustration.

"Why did you leave him alone though? We said we always have each other's backs!" Kate scolded, glaring at Zayn and Chris.

"Hey! You were in the fucking market! You didn't even know where we were so don't speak!" Louis snapped as he turned around, blue eyes angry.

"I was following the plan, you idiot!" Kate shot back.

"Louis give me the needle and the scissor!" Liam ordered, holding out his hand.

"The plan was to stick together!" Louis spat at Kate and gave Liam the scissor.