Chapter 20

~•~ Chapter 20 ~•~

Kate woke me up hours later and told me to get ready. While I was changing clothes, I couldn't help but glance at my body in the mirror. Again, the thought that I'm uglier than her popped in my mind, making my stomach tighten. I shouldn't be thinking like that, but all those bad memories influence me a lot.

I stepped out of the bedroom, keeping my head lowered and my hand in front of my tummy, the insecurity taking its toll on me. Kate didn't notice, of course. She never did. She always made me feel uncomfortable with myself but she never knew.

"How much do you think it will take to finish?" Kate asked casually as we headed to the cafeteria.

I shrugged, "Maybe two hours, tops." I answered flatly.

"You okay? You sound.." she said, eyeing me closely.

"I'm fine," I spat, looking away from her. That's what I always do. Always saying I'm okay, faking a smile and trying to move on. Life is hard. And a bitch too.

"Just sleepy?"

"Yeah," I shrugged, still not meeting her eye. I pushed the door open and entered the crowded cafeteria.

I ignored everyone'd gaze as I walked between the tables, heading to the elevator. It was actually strange that everyone was having dinner so late. Kate and I went to the top floor , where all the boys were waiting for us. I didn't say a word to Kate the entire time, my ego suddenly coming too strong to let go of all the memories that happened in the past. I should forget about them right? Well, my ego isn't really agreeing with that.

They were all there, standing in a circle around Harry, who was holding a pad in his large hands. He was serious, thoughtful, stressed. We joined the others and Harry's eyes fell on me and Kate but focused on her. That only added to the odd feeling inside of me. I pursed my lips, reluctant to show any emotion.

"Alright, now that we're all here, I'm going to need a few to help up with the boxes in the back," He turned to point at the car that was surrounded by a few guys carrying boxes. "Some others will come with me to check on some burnt electromagnetic weapons and help me re-make them. Some others will go outside and get the rest of the weapons and ammo the army brought us." He said and raised his brows. "We good?"

We all nodded. "Yeah," Niall said.

"Any questions?" He said and no one spoke. "Good. Now, Zayn and Niall will come with me to re-make the weapons. Thomas, Kate and Louis will go outside and get the new weapons. Chris, Liam and Carla will help with the boxes," he said, making my eyes widen.

Carla? Really?

"It's been days and you still don't know my name." I muttered, crossing my arms. Thomas beside me chuckled.

Harry looked at me, a deep thought hidden in his green irises. "Who said I want to know your name?" He cocked a brow.

I shouldn't feel hurt, but I did.

I shrugged, looking nonchalant, even though all the bad memories came back crashing to me. You will always be the ignored girl Claire. Some things never change. I swallowed down the lump in my throat and spoke, "Right, why would you care about me anyway?" I said, giving him a blank look.

Something flashed behind his eyes, something that made my heart tug. I couldn't read through him. But that moment, I didn't care. Everyone was looking at us, not saying a word, but even if they did say, I wouldn't hear. Heat flushed to my face as I walked away, heading to the spot the car was at. I heard footsteps approaching from behind and soon, a hand was placed on my shoulder.