Chapter 38

~•~ Chapter 38 ~•~

“How could they not see him?” I asked in disbelief, my eyes glued ahead as we walking through the parking lot, multiple Jeeps and soldiers carrying guns moving past us.

Today Liam and Thomas woke me up and told me that they were going to check out the whole case with the zombie we found out outside our hideout last night. I, of course, wasted no time to dress up and leave my room, curiosity taking the best out of me. They had told me that Harry went to see the guards and they heard a good lecture from him. They also said they didn't see the zombie coming, which seemed strange to me.

“They had a problem with the lights and their night vision glasses ran out of battery.” Zayn answered easily in front of me, walking lazily with his hands in his jacket's pockets.

Chris huffed, walking beside Zayn. “Yeah right, they had their glasses on charge for about an hour when we all know these glasses only need ten minutes to fully charge.” he rolled his eyes, clearly not believing the soldiers' answers.

“Isn't it strange that when the zombie appeared, the lights had a problem and their glasses didn't work either?” I said, looking over at a deep red Jeep that was being washed by four soldiers.

“That's what I thought, too.” Liam said from behind me, voice light.

“But how do we know it was the zombie that destroyed the lights on the front of the hideout? He would have to climb all the way up.” Kate claimed, walking next to me, her blonde hair tied up in a high ponytail that moved from one side to the other with each step she took.

“Exactly, and he looked as if his lower half was about to get ripped out from the rest of his body.” Chris said, glancing over his broad shoulder at us, his deep brown eyes filled with disbelief and confusion.

“What if there was another zombie with him? Or more than one?” Thomas said from behind Kate, sounding stressed.

“Nah, we would've found him already.” Zayn said, shaking his head. His cologne was strong and I liked it.

“So the point is, those soldiers are lying?” Kate asked, sounding uncertain. I looked at her to find her staring at the back of Chris' head with her thin brows scrunched in confusion.

“Why would they?” Liam said.

“I don't think they would lie to Harry.” Chris said firmly, voice strong.

“But what if...” I trailed off, thinking about the options that could fit this status. The soldiers would lie to Harry only if they were scared, which means they must have done something wrong, something serious that could cause Harry to punish them. That sounds like the only reasonable answer I could give. “What if they did something wrong and were too afraid to tell Harry the truth?” I said, frowning.

“It's possible.” Liam agreed from behind me. “I don't think they would lie to Harry for a reason that wouldn't anger him.” he added easily.

My eyes landed on Harry, talking to Louis with his arms crossed over his chest, wearing a white tee and black jeans with a rip on the left knee, black boots and his long hair loosely hanging around his face as if he didn't spend too much time to make it look perfect, although it did look great on him. My heart plummered as we got closer, and I could see clearly his emerald green eyes staring Louis seriously, a hint of uncertainty in his eyes. Louis seemed calm, relaxed, his blue eyes serious and concetrated, his thin lips pursed tightly as he heard everything Harry said.

“Something's off.” Liam said and I nodded.

“I know.” I said quietly.

“Wait till we check out everything okay?” Zayn said, raising one hand as he turned to look at us, caramel eyes calm. We all nodded. “Good.” he said and turned back forward.