Book 5⌇45. Make Him Understand

Chapter 45 ∣  Make Him Understand

-Eris

It was a new kind of pain that couldn't even come close to physical torture I had been put through, the pain that came from watching Maverick storm out the door of the room I had phased into and I couldn't stop him. The ache in my heart was something so new to me that it not only hurt, it broke me. I'd been led to believe all these years that a sex demon couldn't have a soulmate...that was a lie and mine just happened to be the rogue vampire prince.

Who would have thought...?

The tears continued to stream down my cheeks, the sound of Maverick making his way through wherever I was, evident as a woman could be heard yelling after him.

"Maverick?! What the actual fuck?!" Her voice was angry and unsure of why he was acting the way he was. "No, you can't!" She continued to growl at him when the sound of the front door opened, "It's daylight! What are you thinking? You really are fucking crazy!"

Wow...he'd rather risk being scorched and killed by the sun, then forgive me. Ouch, that really hurt.

"Lucette, stop don-" another voice trailed off as it called after the woman who had chased after Maverick.

The door to the room I was in had been left ajar as Maverick had made his great escape, the tall form of a pureblood vampire with snowy white hair and captivating citrine amber eyes locked onto me. Unlike Maverick, this one neither hid his energy nor attempted to evade me. He stood in the hallway, his eyes looking me over.

"Rook!" It was the woman, Lucette's voice, sounding much closer than it had when she called after Maverick. Slowly and cautiously, I stood to my feet, holding onto the bedpost behind me as our eyes never faltered, the continuous stare slightly unnerving.

"Rook!" Lucette was almost beside this pure blood, "Rook?" This time she asked him as though curious as to why he hadn't responded to her. She appeared from outside my field of view, coming to stand directly beside him, her eyes scanning his face, before turning her gaze onto me as well.

"Rook...is that—is that...his-?" Her words sounded shocked, confused at seeing my physical presence before her. The stunning pureblood female reached Rook's shoulders, her long white hair was braided and hung over her left shoulder, those eyes she held, were like Maverick's, but not identical.

When Rook took a step into the open door, I flinched, taking a harsher grip on the bed post and moving behind it, trying to figure out exactly what was going on. My voice came out shaky as I whispered, "Where am I?"

From what I had noticed when I woke up, the room was splendid, probably one of the nicest looking places I had ever set foot in. Why had Maverick been here? If he was a rogue vampire, why was he under the same roof as other vampires, let alone purebloods? So many questions I had for him and I didn't think I'd ever received the answers to them...the biggest one still lingered on my mind...

Why did he try to kill the vampire king? Why would he make an attempt at his own father's life? I knew he killed people and he didn't care whether what he was doing was right or wrong, but he was a rogue. Keegan had said Maverick was cast away...for trying to murder his father...but why? There had to be more to it...

As though he didn't want to startle a wounded animal, Rook's voice was calming when he stated, "You are in my home. My name is Rook, and I am the coven leader that watches over Oregon."

So, he was the leader of the coven that I had desperately tried to evade all these years...now I had fallen right into the very heart of it.

"This is my beloved, Lucette," Rook motioned to the pureblood female who stared at me in awe, more than likely trying to figure out how I had ended up in their home, without raising any alarm. Well...except for Maverick storming off.