Book 5⌇46. Hunters

Chapter 46 ∣  Hunters

-Eris

Two weeks.

Two long weeks.

It had been two weeks since Maverick had stormed out of my life and I hadn't been able to find him. Considering he is a rogue, that wasn't too hard for him to hide from me. If he didn't want to be found, he'd make damn sure there was no way for me to follow and come after him. He had evaded vampires and hunters alike for who knows how long, how was one succubus supposed to track him down?

Rook and Lucette were two of the kindest vampires I'd ever met, though that's not saying much considering I hadn't really met many aside from Maverick and the ones at the underground rave. Reputation was something earned though, and purebloods were known to be quite ruthless, especially to those not of their kind, but those two held hopes for Maverick and that only brought up more questions.

Maybe one day, Lucette would tell me exactly what she meant.

Better yet, if Maverick would forgive me, maybe he would finally explain himself...

His energy would spike when I least expected it to. I had gone back to the Dv8 Strip Club, putting my coworkers' minds at ease and I was quite surprised to see how worried Brice was. His genuine concern for my wellbeing was a little overwhelming, especially when he pulled me in for a bear hug like a father would do to his child.

The atmosphere was no longer filled with anxiety over my unknown whereabouts. Everything had pretty much returned to normal, though I had told Brice that I needed to take time off to recover from the events of late.

Brice held no objections, only thinking of the absolute worse that had happened to me. It was my story to tell and I would never be ready to share it with anyone, as no one understood my situation...except for Maverick.

A thought had struck me after the first week. Could I go to Hendrix and ask him for help? Surely, he had much better trackers than anything I could do. Then the words of caution that Maverick had explicitly told me, was to not go back into that forest, as we were no longer welcome. I feel that those words were more directed to him. I hadn't done anything wrong...technically.

Abiding by those rules, I didn't seek Hendrix out, though I hoped and prayed that maybe he would wander into town. This was a false hope, as I hadn't sensed any energies that were abnormal besides the few vampires.

The last time Maverick's energy spiked, was just a day ago. I had been visiting with Brice and figuring out what my schedule would be once I returned to work when his energy consumed me. It washed over in ripples, almost knocking me over, lasting for a good few minutes before disappearing. With little direction, it had led me to just outside the city limit, past Rook's coven, and into unknown territory. At the time, I hadn't been able to search around, as police vehicles could be heard in the distance, making me steer far away.

Once everything had died down, I figured I would go check out the area where Maverick's energy had spiked...maybe there would be some type of clue as to where he went.

Dressed in my dark denim jeans, ankle boots, a long-sleeved gray shirt, and my onyx leather jacket zipped up to just under my chin, I scanned the sidewalk in front of me. My long ebony hair was let loose, flowing out behind me as the wind blew in my face gently. I had my hands stuffed into the pockets of my jacket, kicking a rock as I came near Rook's coven, his mansion rising high, just over the small hill I was climbing.

The night air was cool, breathing it in as the lamp posts flickered to life, illuminating small pods of light around the post. Moonlight was sparse, a crescent hanging in the dark sky as the stars twinkled with each one coming to life.