Book 5⌇53. Fire

Chapter 53 ∣  Fire

-Maverick

Maverick!

Breathing out sharply, I suddenly sat up in Eris' bed, my eyes scanning the room while my chest heaved up and down, catching my breath. It felt like I'd just run a marathon and that my vampiric strength, speed, and overall power was diminished, replaced by what could only be described as mortality.

Through the many lives Eris' had touched, from the countless humans she had let live each time she took energy from them, taking what she needed, but leaving behind their souls—she's more powerful than she lets others believe and she could have easily stolen souls without another thought, but she didn't, she has remorse for even taking energy.

This extended to even Hendrix and Declan. She had taken Hendrix's energy in order to survive, his soul was within her sights, but she let him live, seeing into his very soul and connecting to his soulmate. Though Declan had attempted to end her life, when she saw his soul, she faltered, allowing his wolf to take over and keep her at bay from stealing it.

One thing remains...she could have taken it, before his wolf had taken control.

She didn't.

She hasn't ever wanted to kill anyone, even if they deserved it.

With her soul remnant residing within my body, I felt everything she did, in every moment she had to make a choice, it was always the right one. Though she's a demon, she's not evil, not in the slightest.

I'm done murdering the lives of the innocent in this world. Eris has shown me that life is so much more than power, that people truly can live together despite their differences.

Moving out of the bed, I picked my clothes up from the floor, adjusting my black cargo pants over my boxers, throwing on my dark shirt and socks. As I sat on the edge of the bed, lacing up my combat boots, I thought about the way she looked at me when she saw I was fit to relinquish a part of her soul willingly to me.

Never has anyone in my life trusted me so deeply as to place a part of their being within my care. Eris brought out the true caring and loving side that had been locked away for so many years, afraid the key had been cast away for good.

That wasn't the case.

Whether she found that lost key or had a spare one made specifically for her, she unlocked my heart, flooding my world with emotions that were foreign to me.

Maverick!

There it was, Eris' crystal-clear voice ringing out in my head, welcoming her as though a part of me had been missing for a very long time. Two halves of a whole that had finally been reunited, my world lay beneath her beautiful smile, her caring heart, and loyal decisions that she stuck to, never regretting a moment of her life.

Eris, where are you?

I stood to my feet, walking to the chair near her door and slipping my arms into my trench coat, flipping my collar out. Reaching for the door, I stepped out into the hallway, making my way through to her living room and kitchen.

I did something stupid.

What did you do?

The fear crept through my bones, turning my attention to the note she had left for me on the kitchen table, reading:

Off to the Dv8 Strip Club.

Should be back in a few hours as it's almost 10 PM now.

Love,

Eris

My eyes shot up from the note, glancing at the digital clock on the microwave. It blinked back at me coldly, 2:39AM.