Book 5⌇18. The Filter is Broken

Chapter 18 ∣  The Filter is Broken

-Eris

I sat on the very uncomfortable "bed" with my legs crossed, the chain hanging over the edge as it bound me to the wall. Leaning my left elbow on my knee, I picked at my lower lip with apprehension, my dark hair falling over my chest as my long-sleeved shirt was barely retaining any body heat. With my right hand, I wrapped my fingers around the cold metal chain, lifting it up and nonchalantly giving it a quick tug.

It wouldn't budge.

Figured.

Letting the chain slip out of my grasp, I brought my right hand to the side of my face, feeling the bruise that was already starting to form just beneath my skin.

Me and my mouth just didn't know when to shut the fuck up...

Very quickly, after Declan had been deliberating whether he was going to somehow hinder me from running away or mar my face, I helped make the decision for him. Well...considering I don't have that much of a filter between my thoughts and my mouth, or it really needs to be changed, even when faced with my impending death, I stated something stupid.

But hey, it wouldn't have been the first time.

I believe the conversation went a little something like this:

"I'm just trying to figure out what I should do to you first. Make it so you can't flee or break that pretty little face of yours."

"Well, considering you already have me chained to this wall, and for added effect, locking me in a cage. I think your decision is pretty damn clear, now isn't it?" I glared at him, the anger I held towards Maverick was now being flung towards Declan.

Not the brightest move I've made thus far...nor the smartest thing I've said.

Incandescent pain erupted from the right side of my face, pain pulsating as the sting lingered. He had hit me hard enough for my head to turn to the side, the only sound that filled the room was my erratic breathing. Luckily, he didn't use enough force to knock me to the ground, which he could have easily done.

"I must thank you," Declan grabbed my chin roughly and harshly brought my eyes to meet his, "You sure do know how to make up my mind for me."

Don't you say another god damn word, Eris...that filter was attempting to work, begging me to keep my comments to myself.

"It's only fitting that a woman with a mouth like yours has a rogue vampire as her beloved," Declan continued, narrowing his eyes at me. "You two are just perfect for each other."

Declan pushed my chin away from him, causing me to stagger backward a couple of feet as he locked the cell bars into place.

"I stand corrected," he shook his head as though he had forgotten something, "Were perfect for each other."

Oh...that's right...how could I have forgotten so easily?

He's going to kill me when he's finished.

I really should change that filter...this isn't a game and I guess the only way I felt like I could get through any of this...was to pretend like it was. After all, Prince Kalyn thought it was all fun and games to torture, rape, and mark me...he didn't find his undoing that much fun.

My fingertips lifted from my cheek, leaning my forearm against my other knee. If I heal myself, he's going to know I'm not human...definitely. But, after what I had done to Hendrix, he knew there was something supernatural about me, yet he refused to reveal my identity to Declan. I don't want to think about what he might do if he knew what I was.