Book 5⌇42. Anarchy

Chapter 42 ∣  Anarchy

-Eris

Maverick...

My vampire.

He stood near the front line of guests that had attended Keegan's coronation and a surprise wedding. He wore onyx cargo pants and his black combat boots that had been lightly dusted with the burnt orange from the Dominion Plane's surface. His shirt had been removed, his winter white hair was pushed to the left side of his face, those beautiful hazel eyes were not filled with love, nor with affection. Pain and hurt coursed through his irises, radiating through his veins to his entire body, until they had shifted, replaced with black rose orbs.

Void of any emotion now, Maverick took a step toward Keegan and King Bram, my body unable to move as I sat sideways, my hands planted on the floor. With caution, I brought my chin up, my eyes lingering on his form as I'd never seen him this way. When he had come after me the time Declan and kidnapped me, I saw anger. Now, there was nothing.

"How did you get into Hell? Unless, that is," Keegan's eyes shifted from my trembling body, back to Maverick, "You killed yourself in order to come after this succubus. Then again, when a vampire dies, they usually go to another circle of Hell, so I'm curious, how are you here?"

Maverick said nothing, his eyes locked onto Keegan like he was the ultimate prey that he was about to catch and kill. I'd never seen this side of him. Yes, I saw him kill Declan in order to save me, but as I asked, "M-Maverick?" He never once cast me a glance, those abyssal eyes of his showing nothing.

Keegan displaced his weight, taking a few strides toward Maverick and asking, "Don't feel like talking, vampire?"

Again, silence answered Keegan's question.

My heartbeat was erratic, my breathing catching as I continued to observe their stare down. I could see Maverick's muscles tense when Keegan asked, "What makes you think Eris wants to go back with you anyways? Hm?"

I shook my head, feeling my body finally moving on its own as I stood up shakily.

"She's already given herself willingly to me," Keegan drove the unseen dagger deeper into Maverick's heart. After he had spoken those words, I finally received a glance, Maverick's black rose eyes piercing into my soul, tears starting to build and threatening to fall. "I can see why you would want Eris, she's an excellent fuck toy, now isn't she?" He paused for a moment, noticing Maverick's stare faltering, "But that's the think about toys; they become too used and broken, old and unwanted. If I can't control her, she's better off dead than against me."

His eyes drifted from mine and then rested on my neck, my fear growing at the thought of him knowing how I had betrayed him. He wouldn't forgive me, he'd kill me...

"Well, I was planning on killing her," Keegan sighed with irritation, "But, I know you want to as well. Let it be known, I'm not completely selfish, you can kill your succubus. Betrayal hurts, doesn't it?"

My heart stopped. I knew Keegan had been planning to kill me within the recent weeks, though I had no plan of being able to escape from him. Now that Maverick was here, and Keegan had revealed to him my betrayal...I knew he'd want to kill me too. Who wouldn't? After all, what I had done was unforgivable, after the way Maverick had only shown me such kind love and affection...

I could have fought harder...

I could have trusted in him...

But...I didn't

I didn't deserve Maverick.

But I didn't deserve to die over this!

If I thought my heart was beating loud and fast before, oh it turned up a notch when Maverick began to walk toward me, his combat boots echoing off the floor. I drew a shaky breath, watching as Keegan moved away and stood next to his father, their eyes filled with amusement as I was petrified.