Book 5⌇38. My Heart and Soul

Chapter 38 ∣ My Heart and Soul

-Eris

"Maverick?!" My body came alive on its own, sadly, it had been all too late. My chest was rising and falling at a fast rate, sitting up in the bed alone, the covers pulled tight around my chest. Glancing around the room, I noticed that Prince Keegan was nowhere to be found, my body aching from the mere thought of how he decided to defile me. I had to have been dreaming somewhere in between conscious and asleep, Maverick reaching out to me, his voice sounding like he was right beside me.

He wasn't though.

It had to have been a dream. Each time I tried to connect to him, silence returned my call.

Dream Maverick said he was coming for me...I find that a little hard to believe. How in the world could he cross into this plane of existence without giving up his life? Even then, he'd be sent to a completely different circle of Hell.

My right hand trailed up from the covers and rested at the base of my neck. The piece of shit collar was real...

My vampire...

Am I really to spend the rest of my immortal life by Prince Keegan's side as his queen? If that truly was to be my destiny, should I not just give in? If I just accepted my fate...maybe I wouldn't be treated so horribly by him.

For all I knew, the hope I had placed in Maverick was a false hope, wanting so desperately to believe he would come and save me that I imagined him calling out to me. There's no chance in Hell he'd ever be able to get into my mind, was there?

"This isn't like when Declan kidnapped me..." my voice was just above a whisper, tugging quickly on the collar, but it wouldn't budge, my hand falling away and resting on the bed, "How do you fight a creature that can shift through different planes at will? How do you fight a creature that can manipulate your mind to not only plant suggestive thoughts but could control your emotions on a different level of that then a vampire? How do you fight a figment of your imagination, that crawls into the farthest corners of your mind at night?"

"You can't," Prince Keegan's voice startled me from the door to the bedroom, my eyes slowly lifting to meet his. "That vampire is not coming for you. Why would he risk his life when he is next in line for the throne?"

There it was again, Prince Keegan speaking about Maverick as though he personally knew him. He couldn't possibly be telling the truth, because if he was, that would mean Maverick had been lying to me from the very beginning.

He wouldn't lie to me...not after I had been completely honest about my past. He wouldn't...

Prince Keegan closed the door silently behind him, his eyes lingering on me as he made his way toward the bed. He was wearing a dark faded pair of jeans, his shirt continued to not want to stay on his body, his eyes were no longer filled with lust.

Guilt?

I don't think I've ever seen an incubus show that emotion before.

When he lowered himself to sit on the bed, my muscles tensed, his body sitting sideways as his legs hung off the edge of the bed, his feet planted firmly on the floor.

"He lied to you, Eris," he spoke again, his voice actually holding remorse, tilting his head to the side, "He was cast away from his coven for attempting to murder his father. He's killed countless innocent lives and never once cared about his actions. If he hadn't met you, he'd still be a bloodthirsty monster."

"I changed him..." I gazed into his eyes, feeling the sting at the bridge of my nose as water filled my eyes.

Prince Keegan shook his head, "He planned on killing you that night."