Book 5⌇Epilogue: A Mortal Life

Epilogue   A Mortal Life

-Maverick

I stood near the railing on the beige marble balcony, connecting to my room inside my parents' coven with my hands buried in my dark cargo pant pockets. The sun was just going down and it was an amazing feeling, the warmth that radiated from its heavenly rays, bringing a soothing touch to my skin. The orange, maroon, and rustic red hues painted the sky, the colors brilliant left behind as the sun continued to sink down behind the horizon.

It was a warm wind that blew my white hair to the left side of my face, the seasons changing as the days passed me by, but I was frozen in time within my mind.

A dark shadow passed over the world and with it, the awakening of the vampire race. Even though it was my fault this war started, my parents stand behind me now, my demeanor shifting greatly.

"Hm, you always were the first to wake," the scent of lilacs came from the open balcony doors, Tamsin walking up beside me and leaning her forearms against the railing, her bright blue eyes gazing out, the view from the top floor quite exquisite. The wind blew her blonde hair in front of her face, a silence passing between us.

"I see you have a very unique gift, Mav," Tamsin smiled knowingly of my newfound ability to walk in the sun, something no vampire had ever done before.

I returned her statement with one of my own, "I see you have become quite the assassin."

She just nodded, keeping her eyes away from me as she stared off into the distance, each of us in our own silent thoughts.

"You loved her," Tamsin's voice met my ears, tilting her head in my direction, "You still love her."

It was my secret, the soft glow deep in my chest fluttered to life.

I nodded, closing my eyes as the picture of Eris came to mind, her long dark hair framing her beautiful features, those enchanting emerald eyes sparking to life. Her sarcasm and spitfire were missed greatly, longing to just hear her say my name one last time.

"Rook's coven has arrived," Tamsin pushed her arms away from the railing, turning on her heels and started walking away. "He's looking for you," I quickly removed my right hand from my pocket, catching her upper arm and bringing her to face me.

"I'm sorry—for how we left things—before-," Tamsin shook her head, cutting me off as she pulled her arm away from me.

She left the balcony, heading for the doors when she said, "Don't apologize...you weren't made for me and neither was I for you. I'm glad you found your beloved, though I am truly sorry that she was taken from you, no one deserves that."

Tamsin was out of sight before I could say another word, sighing and holding my hand against my chest. It still hurt, though I had a piece of Eris' soul with me, the moment she was ripped away from me lingered each day. The pain could make one go mad, but instead of pooling more hate and anger, I took each day as a blessing.

Hope remained in my heart, hope for the future and what we could make it after this war ended, but it was just beginning, a long road ahead of not just this coven, but for the entire vampire race. Plenty of hunters had sided with the werewolves, only a handful standing beside the vampires.

The humans? Caught in the middle, forced to hide once again, afraid to take either side, for fear of being killed by the opposite race. It was best for them to stand aside, as this war wasn't between them and us, no it went far beyond the realms of mortals, our supernatural abilities would leave behind a scar on this world.

The only thing I now feared, would be losing the ones who were closest to me, but I'd be damned if I ever let that happen. I wouldn't hide my blood magic away anymore, I would fight full force, a reckoning was coming, and no one is safe.