Book 5⌇54. Silence

Chapter 54 ∣  Silence

-Maverick

"There's something different about you," Zak regarded me quizzically, his eyes calculating what my next move would be after doing something even he couldn't comprehend—a rogue vampire saving humans.

He knew my past.

He played a major role in setting my younger self on the path of destruction. If he had steered away from my father's influences, would he too, have seen the potential that Eris saw within me?

"I don't think you'd believe me, even if I did tell you," I replied, feeling that warmth within my chest as I imagined Eris, but immediately stopped, my head turning in the direction of where she had run.

She was being hunted, because of me.

"Maybe I would," Zak sighed, walking away from me and down the sidewalk, the lamp posts flickering while the sounds of sirens echoed in the distance, the fire drawing their attention to this area.

After looking over the humans, seeing that they were safe and that help would arrive for the ones who had inhaled too much of the smoke, I followed Zak.

"I carry a small remnant of a soul within my body," I stated, Zak, halting and swiftly turning around to stare into my eyes.

"That woman," Zak paused, thinking about how to explain the obvious encounter, but I stopped him.

"Why are you even here?" I asked, "Wouldn't you have followed with the rest of the hunters? With Rainier? With that wolf pack?"

Zak shook his head and I could see a slight embarrassment that crossed his face.

It struck me then and I chuckled, "Did you get played by my little vixen?"

"That—thing..." Zak stammered, "Sh-She took my energy."

"She could have killed you, if she really wanted to," I walked past Zak, knowing at this moment in time, he wasn't going to try and kill me. There would be no reason to, as he had more questions and only Eris and I held those answers. "Oh, Zakie boy," I sighed, "You were seduced by a succubus. My love outplayed the great hunter of my father's coven."

Zak's anger flared, storming behind me as he glowered, "That may be true, but she's about to be killed for your actions. Why does everyone else always have to pay the price for what you do?"

"I didn't d-"

"Cut the fucking crap Maverick," Zak growled at me, "You killed a well-known Alpha and Luna of a very large pack with very tight connections. Their Alpha king wants your head about as much as your father does. Why couldn't you just leave well enough alone and not kill everything that moves?"

Eris...she's smart, she can evade them, but her trail is all over the place.

"Now," Zak ended up in front of me, his two medium length daggers were drawn, and he placed them at the base of my neck, stopping me dead in my tracks with the blades crossing in an 'X' form. "I can kill you now and give both the vampires and the werewolves what they want."

My eyes shifted, black rose pools glaring at him while I felt my fangs elongating.

"Or," Zak brought his daggers away from my throat, relieving the pressure from my arteries. "I can let you live because I have a very ugly feeling in the pit of my stomach, that is telling me that this little feud, won't end with just your life. I believe you started something, that might not be reversed so easily as handing over your head."

His white irises met my black rose ones, our stare filled with tension, my breathing coming long and slow as I contemplated what he was declaring. Would the werewolves kill vampires who wandered into their territories unknowingly now? Even if they weren't rogues? Would they try and rid the world of the "evil" vampire race? They saw me as the one representing them, knowing I was the exiled prince that could possibly lead them one day, despite being cast away. Did that cause fear to stir within their bones? Fear of the unknown?