Book 5⌇9. The Neck is Off Limits

Chapter 9 ∣  The Neck is Off Limits

-Eris 

Nuh-huh.

Nope, nope, nope...not getting entangled in anything else.

One rogue pureblood was enough, and I was barely handling Maverick. I didn't need to be thrown into anything else. For this reason alone, I never glanced back at the two who remained in the booth of the Starbucks.

Ignoring the discernible deviation in energy that appeared to be irradiating from Hendrix and a slightly less robust diffuse from Tristan, the sound of my boots echoing off the black walnut wood floor was the only thing I was focusing on.

As I stepped out of the coffee shop, I was about to pull my long raven hair from falling over my chest but hesitated. Yes, I lived in a world that had been enslaved by vampires and it wasn't shocking to see one, but I felt self-conscious about Maverick's bite mark that lingered in plain sight on the side of my neck.

What would people think?

Should I even care what they think? I had survived his bite and that should be something of an accomplishment on its own.

I decided against it, my left-hand drifting away from my hair.

Not today...

**

Spending the better part of the day walking around Portland, Oregon, it was nice to tune out the world. With my earbuds embedded into my ears and my music turned all the way up, the only thing I could hear was Muse:

"I want to reconcile the violence in your heart.

I want to recognize your beauty is not just a mask.

I want to exorcize the demons from your past.

I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart."

The setting sun brought my attention up from the cement sidewalk. Maverick would be waking soon, and he could finally leave my apartment.

I wonder where he lives.

Whatever...not that I would want to know where to find that bastard. He seems to do a very good job of finding me on his own.

By the time I arrived in front of my apartment door, the sun had just sunk down below the city buildings.

I really should throw out these two keys...I have no use for them and if I ever get chased by another supernatural creature of the night, I don't want to be spending time sifting through them when my life is at risk.

Unlocking the door, I noticed that the lights were on and the smell of fresh pizza filled my nose, instantly making my mouth water. As I shut the door behind me, I turned to the kitchen and noticed the timer was about to go off.

"Oh honey, I'm home!" I yelled, a smirking Maverick appearing from my bedroom and traveling the length of the hallway, his bare feet stepping lightly on the dark carpet. He was wearing the same clothes he had that night he sank his fangs into my neck, although the trench coat was still off. I was, however, ecstatic to see he had hung it up on the coat rack.

Oh look, you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Maverick stopped in front of me, taking in my attire before grinning, "I've been slaving over a hot oven all day!"

"Mmm...you know how to get to my heart, making me pizza just makes me melt," I laughed.

"You're just as cheesy as this pepperoni pizza you had stowed away in the freezer," he returned sarcastically, but then sincerely stated, "I thought you might be hungry and since you didn't decide to kill me, I would return the kindness."